Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sep 22, 2008 - I get a wagon




Howdy y'all!!

So saturday morning I went out and got myself a horse wagon. The
wagon was pulled by a mammoth donkey 15 years ago, then it got left
in a feild every since. The wood is all rotten as you'd expect, but
I got it for free, so I'm going to fix it up now.

Yesterday I disassembled all of the wood from the wagon, taking
pictures and notes the whole way. I am now down to the bare metal
frame. The steering linkage is all perfect, and the metal is in
great shape. I wanted to paint it all and make it look great, then
rebuild the wood frame and then I'd have a great wagon for Lily to
pull.

I need some help from those of you who might be more wagon savy
then me.

1) Should I sand, wire brush, or anything like that the metal frame
before painting it? I was going to paint it with rustoleum paint,
but wanted to see if I should do anything else prior to painting.

2) What kind of wood should I rebuild it with? I need 2 2x6's and
a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to get the deck back on it. I didn't
know if it needs to be treated, or if I should go after some of the
cement fibre material that is available now days.

Marshall and Kim said they have tires that would fit it, so It's
looking like this thing could be up and restored in no time at all.

Then I just have to get some lessons in training horses to pull
wagons and what not. I'm sure Lily needs a refresher, but I need
full training!!

No comments:

Post a Comment