Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jul 16, 2008 - Lunging

Okay ... so tonight Lily and Ben got started on Lunging. I don't have a round pen, so it was just in the open field, and with a lead rope. The results are in.

Lily went first. As I started tapping on her neck, she just kept squared up with me and kept looking at me as if to say "What?". I finally got her to move, but she would only run 2 steps, then square up again. I kept at it and at it, and she finally got to where she would go 3/4 a turn. I stopped her before I knew she was going to give up, and gave her some loving. The part she did great on was not coming up to me until I called her. She nailed that part. She's going to need a few days before she fully gets it.

Benjamin was awesome!!! He didn't run, but he got it right away. After a few times of me tapping him and then praising him for doing it right, he would just walk circles around me. After a complete circle, he would try to stop, but I'd click at him, and move the carrot stick like I was going to tap him again and he'd keep going. He did great both directions, and also would wait for me to call him up for loves. He's a smart guy and just as sweet as a puppy dog.

Tonight the farrier came out and both horses got trims. Lily was great, as always, and Ben was great as well. I was holding Ben's lead rope and I think that kept him pre-occupied. He didn't really fight at all and the farrier had a nice, incident free night that lasted about 30 minutes for both of them (10 for Ben, 20 for Lily).

You've got a great horse Kim!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment