Tuesday, December 15, 2009

May 6, 2008 - Goslings and Buck

So following Kim's advice, this last Saturday I let my goslings out
(with the 2 ducks that are part of the "flock") and introduced them to
my adult geese. (just for background, Kim mentioned that her adult
male geese raise her goslings, I was very skeptical that mine would do
this, but Kim urged me to try). It was pretty cool to see what
happened. I have 3 geese, 2 are paired up, and the other is a lone
guy who is a 3rd wheel. :) As soon as the 3rd wheel saw the
goslings, he went right over to them. The goslings, reacted by
walking away from him. He stayed right with them, trying to get close
to them. He would lower his head to the ground next to his body
(creating an impressive curve to his neck) and walk very slowly to
them). It's a shame that the goslings are now used to their cage and
are scared of him. You were spot on Kim and now I know that next time
I get any goslings, I'll not put them in a brooder at all. I'll just
let them out with the adult geese.

On a funny note ... these little goslings are not scared of the ducks
at all, and actually try to run them off. It's funny watching a furry
yellow gosling trying to go after an adult male muscovey duck. :)

Buck is getting sooo big. I am soooo glad that I got hands on with
him early. If he didn't know the drill now, he would be difficult to
handle. He's big, getting strong, and he knows it. It's amazing to
me how fast he's growing. I'll try to get a picture today or tomorrow
and post just to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment