Monday, December 14, 2009

Apr 12, 2008 - My first ride on Lily





I'm posting this here, because I have to share the news with someone.

Tonight, I saddled up Lily, but the bridle on her, put her in her stall, and took her off the lead rope. I tried riding her using the reigns. (for those who don't know, Lily was supposedly used for pulling wagon for a year or so around 4 years ago.) She didn't complain at all when I put the saddle on, so I finally decided to just hop on, and test her.

She must have an amazing memory. She did everything I asked her to do. She
responds well to voice commands and is very sensitive on the reigns. With very little
pressure she turns. I even got her to back up with no problem. I can't help but think that someone did ride her back in the day. She did so good in the stall, that after 15 minutes, I took her out of the stall, and rode her for another 30 minutes in the pasture (with Buck at her side and behind her). She did amazing.

I was able to get her to walk, trot, and lope. This is the first time I've ever
ridden a draft horse, and I have to say that I am very impressed with how smooth and effortless they move. Lilly trotted a whole lot, and I barely even moved in the saddle. I don't think I could ride a normal horse now. :)

My only complaint is that I either need to get a step ladder, or I need to
stretch. That stirrup sits pretty high up there for a guy who isn't flexible. :)

I still have a grin on my face from the ride. She did so good!!! I'm sure this
is old news to most of you, but to me it's new, and exciting. Can't wait to ride her tomorrow. ;)

Update:
To top that off ... (as if it couldn't get better) ...

I just got in from riding her for 1 1/2 hours. We rode up and down the pasture many times. This morning I tied Buck to the back of the saddle, and he got an awesome lesson in leading. He only freaked out and fell over once (which happened to be when Kim was coming up the driveway in the truck). Kim got some pictures of this morning, so maybe I can sweet talk her into posting them (but only if they show me and the horses in a good light LOL).

I'm still on cloud nine that this horse is doing exactly what I tell her to. She is so willing to please. I don't think I will ever have another horse. I'm sold on drafts. Do all draft horses have this temperment? I would assume they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment