Monday, December 14, 2009

Mar 12, 2008 - Buck is Houdini

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but Buck seems to be an escape
artist. The other day I got home and found him on the other side of
my neighbors 5 strand barbed wire fence. This is a stout fence, and
I had trouble locating a spot loose enough to stretch the wire to
get him back through. (Thank goodness for a helpfull wife and all
the time I've spent with him so far. Without both of those, I
wouldn't have been able to get him back through.

Buck also gets out of he and Lily's pen. These are preifert panels
that are 6 foot tall. The only way I can perceive he is getting out
is by laying down to sleep, and wiggling under them. I figure as he
gets older, he'll stop being small enough to do that so I really
haven't worried about it.

Update:
Buck(Houdini is well). this morning when I went out, he was stuck. He was laying down and his head and front feet were on the outside of the pen, and his rear was on the inside. He is getting big enough now that his back rubs the lowest bar even while laying down, so he couldn't get any leverage to stand up. I lifted on the panel and he was able to squirm out.

I am very happy with his progression right now. I can walk right up to him without him running away. He lifts his rear feet with no problems. He is still a little shy with his front legs, and I am still having to force it up while he tries to get away. I can put a halter on him without much disagreement. This halter is very large on him, and I wonder if he will become disagreeable as it gets tighter.

He's a great little guy and his personality is showing. He is a talker!!! Anytime I'm within eye sight he is whinnying at me. Even when I call Lily up for dinner, Buck will run straight to me, and when he gets a few feet away, he suddenly turns and runs back to his mom, as if to say "sorry for ditching you mom". It's very funny. Colt antics are hilarious and I'd dare say he is as funny to watch as it is to watch a cat attacking something.

No comments:

Post a Comment