Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jun 26, 2008 - Buck is a boy!

So tonight I put some good time in with Lily and Buck. It's been a while since I put the saddle on Lily and rode her, so since I got home early tonight, I figured it was the perfect chance.

I called them up for supper, gave them a little bit to eat, and then haltered them both. Now typically when I ride Lily, I don't tie Buck. I like him to walk with us so that Lily doesn't freak out.

Things started fine, but the "little shit" side of Buck decided to make itself known. Lily was having a hard time listening to me cuz Buck kept biting her legs, and he was also trying to ride her (which means his legs nearly smashed me in the back once). That was when I decided that Buckaroo needed to be tied up so that Lily could not be pestered. So I hopped out of the saddle and started leading Lily the 20 feet to the nearest good fence post to tie her.

This is when I saw something I haven't seen yet. (Please tell me if this is normal). As I started leading Lily to the fence, I heard a snort to my right, and turned just in time to see Bucks rear legs smash into Lily's shoulder (about 2 feet away from my head). He pranced off snorting and I couldn't help but notice that he was fully erect (if you know what I mean), and his ears were back. He came around again, snorting and what not, so I decided enough is enough, and turned Lily and walked directly towards him. I guess he knew I was upset, cuz his ears perked up immediately and the snorting stopped. He made a half hearted turn and kick, and walked away from me (circling up on the other side of Lily).

After this I tied Lily, and led Buck over to the nearest tree and tied him up. Lily and I then had a nice ride, while the Buckster learned that the court jester (me) can tie knots that a horse can't get loose :)

I know that I am not working Lily enough under saddle, cuz I swear we spend the first 30 minutes in a battle over who gets to choose where we go and how fast we go there. I've ridden horses before that didn't want to go at all, but Lily has the opposite problem. She wants to run everywhere I point her. I feel like I'm pulling back and saying "woah" the majority of the time. In a few weeks, I will be taking her over to a friends arena so that my friend can watch what I'm doing with Lily, to make sure I'm doing everything right. My friend is a life long barrel racer, and I completely trust her opinion when it comes to putting horses under saddle.

So that's it. I think I got to see a glimpse of the stallion in Buck. Too bad that I'm a helluva lot meaner and I get what I want when it comes to our relationship. :)

Oh yeah ... It was also bath night for the horses, and Buck got his first bath. In the past when I spray down Lily, I always forget to tie up Buck. The minute he see's the commotion, he runs 100 yards away and watches from a distance. No such luck for him tonight. I had him tied, and he got sprayed down real good (once again learning that my knots don't come loose). :)

Here's another question. As I was washing down LIly, I noticed she had a wound on the inside of her back right leg, right near where her udders are (is that the right terminology). It looks like it hurts, and I didn't know if it was from Buck nursing still, or something else. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just realized that I should probably break this kind of post up into a few pointed stories with questions. Too bad I'm too lazy to change this one. :D I'll work on being more to the point in my future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment