Monday, December 14, 2009

Feb 12, 2008 - Sweet Story

I think I'm building the bond that I'm supposed to with Lilly. I've
been reading lately about how I need to have a pretty good bond with
her when it comes time for the baby to come (that way she'll let me be
present and not freak out).

Yesterday I put a big ol' round bale in my small pen that I keep Lilly
in at night. I was about to leave and realized that I didn't rub her
down at all.

I started walking towards her, and she started walking away from me
(as if so say "I've got food here now ... I don't want you!")

So I held my hands out so she could see that they were empty, and
started calling her. She stood still for a moment, moving her head
side to side as she considered Hay ... or me. After about 30 seconds,
she took her first step towards me, and then another, and soon she was
walking directly to me.

When she reached me, I reached up and started rubbing her head and
scratching behind her ears. Then I started rubbing down her neck and
it's almost like her whole body just kind of relaxed and she just sat
there enjoying the attention. I reached up and took her halter off (I
had a halter on her with no lead rope) and expected her to head to the
hay at that point. Nope! She stayed put and looked at me as if to
say "how about you rub me some more".

So I rubbed her down all over with my hands and really gave her a good
belly massage. She just sat there totally relaxed and acted like my
wife did when she was pregnant and was getting a massage.

That is why I think I saw the baby moving. I noticed that when she
would breathe out, that back right in front of her rear legs (where
she is the thinnest) I would see the skin bulge out and in a few
times. I put my hand there and felt something pushing against my
hand. I think it was the baby and so it was a pretty cool evening.

Just thought I'd share since this is all new to me. I'm loving this
horse!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is incredibly sweet - I've always wanted a horse - I guess I can live vicariously through you!
    -Britta

    ReplyDelete