Monday, December 14, 2009

First Post

My name is Tim. I'm 33 years old, and I've been a horse owner for 2 years now. My wife and I had this image that someday we would own a beautiful black percheron and that we'd use it to pull wagons. I beleive this was in our 30 year plan. Little did we know that an opportunity would come much sooner than expected. 5 years ago we bought a house in the country on 9 acres. We love the country life, and before we knew it, the animals began to accumulate. We've had chickens, ducks, geese, goats, donkeys, cats, dogs, a rabbit, and horses.

I have an outlook on my farm much like my great grandfather did. My grandpa Dimmick had a farm, and the only things he kept on it were thing that could pull their own weight. There was no time or money for something that did not give back to the farm. I began accumulating animals the same way. Ducks were to help with the seasonal bugs, geese kept the pond clear of water mocassins and ate down the vegetation in the pond; chickens eat bugs and give eggs, goats mowed down a section of land I did not want to mow myself, cats keep our house rodent free, and the dogs keep us company, as well as our Great Pyranees keeping all our animals safe from coyotes.

I drove a 1985 Toyota 4x4 pickup for the longest time. Well one day it broke. I beleive it was a blown head gasket or something similar. I didn't know what to do with it, so I put it on craigslist in the barter section to see what someone would trade me for it. I recieved an offer to trade my broken Toyota pick up, for a papered, Belgian mare, that was bred. Amanda and I talked and decided not to pass up this offer, and we made the deal. The horses name is Lily. She is 16 hands tall, and is a blonde belgian without a blaze. Getting this horse would open my eyes to a whole new world of "firsts". I will forever be greatful to Kelli for making this trade with me and enabling me to have so much joy as I fulfil dreams I've had since I was a boy.

I joined a yahoo group with some great draft horse owners (http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/NADraftHorse/). Since this has been a new adventure for me, I've posted many things there as they've happened to me, and asked MANY MANY questions. It was input from this group, as well as a little from neighbors and friends that helped me with all the new situations I would find myself in. Joining that group was the best thing I could've done. The people are wonderful, and I consider them family.

It was suggested by that group that I find a place (blog) to put the many write-ups and stories I posted there. I figured that was a good idea, which brings me here.

The name Green Teamster comes from the fact that I have less than 2 years under my belt as a horse owner. There is a whole lot I don't know, but I'm learning, and enjoying as I go.

I must say a big thank you to my loving wife, who lets me do this hobby. She sometimes claims that Lily is my true love and that she is second in line. This could not be further from the truth. I love my family more than anything else, and am so greatful for them and how they put up with me. It just also happens that Lily is the best horse in the world :). I had no idea that this first horse would be one of the best horses ever. As my posts will show, this is some horse, and she has taught me more than I will ever teach her.

So sit back, sip your beverage of choice, and enjoy my rambings!

No comments:

Post a Comment