Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Oct 10, 2009 - Saturday Part 2: Durango vs. Texas mud

So my son's birthday party was going great. I had just got home with some bales
of hay for the kids to sit on in the wagon. The wife handed me some pictures of
ghosts and asked me to go distribute them amount the hay bales in the neighbors
field.

(Just FYI ... my neighbors 20 acres field still has round bales all over it cuz
he didn't gather them. So for the party, my wife came up with this idea. A
Ghost hunt (the boy's party was Ghostbuster themed)! So I had to place pictures
of ghosts on the bales of hay, each child got a card that matched one of the
ghosts, and to find them, they all load in the wagon, and I drive around the
field until all the kids find their ghosts. She's a clever and crafty woman!!)

So ... my brain must've still been asleep, or just overjoyed from the wagon
completion. I totally know better, but for some reason, I thought I could just
drive our durango through this pasture to put out the ghost pictures. The
durango has 4WD, and a hemi ... it's invincible (insert a few manly animal
noises here) ... right?!

I got to the far end of the pasture, and it happened. The clay decided it was
time to stick to the tires. This made my tires take on a new level of traction
... with that level being none!

"Awwww HELL!" was the muttered words, as I suddenly had one of those lovely
"what were you thinking doing this" moments. So how to get the durango out? I
was smart enough to know that another vehicle would just get stuck as well. A
tractor was out of the question since I don't own one. Ding! I have a horse
that I was going to harness up for a wagon ride anyway. I'll just have her pull
me out!

I decided that would be the best course of action, and off I went to ready the
horse for a good workout.

Lessons learned ... no 4 wheeled vehicle with radial tires is tougher than texas
mud!!! And when Murphy gets involved, you'll find yourself with your vehicle
stuck at the furthest point away from help possible!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment