Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mar 24, 2009 - My ramblings

So I figured it'd been a while since I wrote anything worth while to the group,
so I thought maybe I would write something that is going on right now.

A few weeks ago, the small horse that I had been borrowing was returned to his
owner (and a very excited grand daughter). When this horse left, Lily was/is
now alone. She is my only horse, and so she has 9 acres all to herself.

At first I thought that I needed to find another horse to buy/borrow so that
Lily could have some company, I mean, who wants to be alone ... right? Due to
life getting busy, I haven't had much time to think about that, so Lily has been
alone for 3 weeks now.

What I have found that is interesting is the change in Lily. When she has
another horse with her, they just hang out in the pasture by themselves, and
only come up to the house when it's feeding time, and even then, I usually have
to yell my guts out to get their attention.

Well right now, due to her being alone, she spends her time with me. When I get
home from work, she follows me up to the house. In the morning when I go
outside to feed, she is there waiting for me. Just seeing her, wanting
attention, makes me slow down my life, and spend time with her.

I love the way things are right now. I am spending quality time with her
everyday. I brush her, clean her hooves, and just love on her many times during
the day. The most interesting part, is that I am doing most all of this without
a halter on her. She is happy to have me around, so I can clean cockleburrrs
out of her forlock and tail, and do all that kind of stuff without even having a
halter on her.

This has got me thinking that sometimes we think a horse needs to have a
companion due to a hard life, stress, or what not, so we keep a few horses
together, and they are completely happy, and let us play with them if they have
to. I'm wondering if it might be better to make a horse like this be alone, so
that they learn to rely on us for attention, love, and friendship. I think the
only way it could work though, is if you slow down life, and make the time to
spend with the horse.

I know sometimes it's hard with busy lifes to spend quality time everyday with
our horses. I know I have had times where I say hello to the horses as I throw
feed in their buckets and then don't interact with them again till the next day.
I am liking the way things are right now. Lily has persuaded me to slow down
and spend more time with her, and it is wonderful!

Please note: These are just my ramblings and thoughts. I'm not trying to
critique or make a point really. Just sharing what's going on with me and some
things I'm thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment