Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jun 3, 2008 - Buck and Trailer training





It's been a while since I posted anything on Buck, so I thought I
would tell about our lesson this weekend so that I can get feedback.

This last saturday morning, Buck got introduced to a trailer. For
this lesson I borrowed my neighbors small stock trailer. It has an
open top, and the sides are about 6 feet high.

So first things first, he and momma are haltered up, and I lead Lily
into the trailer (Note: I did remember to hook the trailer up to the
durango before I put the horse in it. :D ). Lily loves to load and
go for rides (must be left over from her wagon pulling days). So she
went in without any persuasion whatsoever. With Lily in, and standing
on one side, there was just enough room for Buck to load in. Note:
Due to my past 8 months working with Lily, I completely trust her with
me. This is the only reason I was attempting to try to load Buck with
her already in the trailer. I would never try this with a horse that
had a history of kicking, or spooking. I'll mention this a bit later.

Up next ... not-so-little-anymore Buck. He led over to the trailer
fine, then I wrapped the lead around my waist and started backing into
the trailer. There was just enough room for Buck to stand side by
side with Lily. So first Lily gets a pat on the backside to let her
know I'm there, and I start stepping back. Buck wanted nothing to do
with this, so he started fighting. Luckily, I had the rope around my
waist, rails of a trailer to hold on to, and a very gentle Lily next
to me. Buck started fighting around the side of the opening on the
trailer, so rather then have him hurt himself, I walked out of the
trailer.

We did a few laps, and then squared up to the opening and tried
again. The results were the same, but Lily was growing more and more
restless. She knew something was going on, and since she was tied in
the trailer, she couldn't get a good look at it. I am very glad that
she trusts me, and that all I have to do is say the words "easy girl"
and she clams down.

On the 3rd try, I was finally able to get him in a bind, where the
only way to relieve the pressure on his halter, was to step forward.
It took him many tries of stepping forward to get a leg in the
trailer. His shin would hit the trailer and he would start to freak
out. He more or less finally fell up into the trailer with his front
legs, and once they were in, the rest was easy. Once up in, I pulled
his head straight up to mamma so that she would be at ease, and he
would as well. I tied him next to him mom, and shut the trailer
door. Then I left them in the trailer for 10 minutes or so, just so
he could relax a bit.

Once he was relaxed, I drove them around for 15 minutes. Just around
my property, then out on the road for a few blocks, then back home.
Never going above 35 MPH on the road, and moving at a crawl on my
property. Lily was in heaven. Her head was high over the back of the
durango, loving every minute of the ride. Buck had moments where he'd
get really spooked and tense, but then he'd relax.

So I got them home, and slowly backed him out of the trailer. He did
just fine going out and didn't flip out when his back foot dropped
down to the ground. Once he was out, I tied he and Lily up to the
trailer for a half hour or so.

About this time, Penny and Tammy got there, so then Buck got some
great loving and attention. I think I wore him out, and he nearly
fell asleep with his muzzle in Tammy's arms.

Alright Pro's, how did I do? I've never done this before, so I'd love
to hear some feedback. (Also, I have real thick skin, so don't worry
about being nice).

I can't say enough about how much I love Lily. This was a very
dangerous thing to do. Much of my time was spent right in front of
Lily's rear leg as I tried to pull Buck into the trailer. Things
could have very easily went south, especially when she was getting
antsy and wondering what was going on with her little boy. I am sooo
glad that she responds instantly to me, and trusts me. Our lessons go
much better when it is he and momma doing the thing. Funny how that
works. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment