Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nov 3, 2009 - Riley's first trail ride on Duncan






I figured that maybe some pictures of a 6 year old boy and his horse may make y’all smile.

The first few are of the boy on the horse. My awesome wife (who is not a horse person) saddled up the horse, and let Riley go for his first ride while I was out of town. Riley’s pet rat that he had for 2 years died, and he needed a “pick-me-up”. The horse did just that. “Duncan” is a 30 year old 15H QH. He just followed my wife around while the boy sat on him. This horse is going to be a great confidence builder for him.

Sunday we went for our first trail ride with Duncan. Riley and I are part of a trail riding group here in Greenville. Riley has always gone with me, so the other members were really excited to see him with his own horse. Just over half the time was spent with me dallying Duncan off Lily. Riley really wanted to ride himself, so once we were out in an enclosed, but open area, with Duncan being so good, I let Riley have control. He did great. We crested a hill, and the trailer was in view, and Duncan was off. (By off, I mean a very very slow walk that 30 year old horses do well). Riley tried and tried to pull his head around, but Duncan was not having it.

Y’all would be so impressed with me! I am not a cowboy, and I have a full 2 years of riding under my belt, so I’m pretty green and new at this. Riley was about 50 yards away and we were just trying to let him turn Duncan around himself. When I realized that Duncan was set on walking there, and the boy was getting more and more distressed, Lily and I sprung into action. I swear she can read what I want her to do. I said “Step it up L…” and before I could even finish her name she had sprung into a canter. We raced up on the side of Riley and Duncan, and then I walked her to cut Duncan off. I then grabbed Duncan’s reigns from the boy, halted Lily, and we put that lead rope back on him. I actually looked like I knew what I was doing. ;) LOL. I can’t get over how wonderful Lily is.

At first I thought maybe the boy was just having issues not pulling the reigns strong enough, but once I got that lead rope back on, I realized that Duncan had basically decided he was done. When we started heading back to the group, Duncan did not come willingly. But Lily had a gleam in her eye, because pulling a quarter horse, is much easier then pulling a Durango out of a muddy field. ;)

We had a great time, and the boy loved it. I think we’re going to have lots of fun together riding.

Enjoy the pictures.

NOTE: I think I need to add a special note to go with the pictures. Duncan is dally’d behind Lily. I did my best at keeping the rope up and off Lily’s rear end, but there were a few times where Duncan would not stop, and it would wrap the rope right around Lily’s rear legs. Since Lily is so wonderful (or maybe it’s just cuz she’s used to wearing a harness so she doesn’t mind stuff wrapping around her rear legs J ) she didn’t even flinch at this. Other horses may not be like this! Please do not try this unless you know you are going to be fine. I’ve heard of stories where that rope wraps around and the person who is on the lead horse then get’s a rodeo ride because the horse spooks. Always use caution when dealing with these wonderful animals!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment