Friday, May 28, 2010

Time to kick up my feet

I don't know what's gotten into me lately.  For some reason, I've been really motivated to work outside.  This morning was no exception.  I have been working outside on the horse stuff.  I built the bench seat for the sled.  It's not attached yet, but it's built and just needs to be bolted on.  I also prepped the wagon so that I can finish staining it.  The main body is already stained, but I've added a few things to it since then.  Time to get rid of that raw wood look.  I'm also going to stain the sled since it's out.  The stain I have is one of those combo stain/sealer deals.  It seems to work alright.  I'm sure it would be better with an actual coat of sealer, but since I cover the wagon when it's not in use, I'm not too concerned.

I've also been working on my horse fencing.  I have a small pasture/pen that my son's 30 year old quarter horse stays in and then the main pasture that I keep the drafts in.  If you recall a previous blog, I made a stall type thing so that I could feed this old quarter horse in a way that the big girls wouldn't run him off and steal his food (Link Here).  Well it just so happens, that the water trough in the old horses pen is great.  It's on an automatic waterer and I don't have to do anything for it.

The water for the draft horses is a different story.  I have to run a hose out to them.  I tried putting that on an automatic watering deal, but the pressure in the water line is too much for the automatic valvue, and it causes water to constantly seep (making a muddy mess).  Well now that summer is out in full force, the girls are going through water like I go through Dr. Pepper.  I got to thinking, and decided that if I joined the pens together, all the horses could drink off the good source, and I wouldn't have to constantly and manually  fill a barrell for the drafts.  So I changed the fencing a tad to accomodate it.  So far so good.  I actually feel good for this old horse.  He's out in the main pasture now, hanging out with the girls.  Since horses are herd animals, it makes me feel better to know that he can be next to other horses if he wants to.

I'm such a nerd that I drew up a nice MS paint sketch of the new fencing configuation.  Enjoy.

I've been working so hard, that I'm going to do another fun activity right now.  Me and my son are going to head over to fellow teamster Pat Chases house.  Are we going to play with horses???  Probably not.  We're just going to relax at the pool and kick our feet up.  After all the work I've been putting in this week, I feel I deserve it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

1 comment:

  1. ok now thats a good solution that looks very strong,and you didnt have to lower the front to get it done,kudos and have a good memorial day.
    jim

    ReplyDelete