Friday, May 7, 2010

Abscess after 5 days

Here is a picture I took of the abscess tonight.  This is looking at the heel of her back left foot.  The area that blew out from the absess is in black, right near my finger.  There is an inch long area, and then the small black dot it blew too.  Just thought I would show what it is I'm dealing with.  I'm halfway through the recommended 2 a day soaks.  Rachel is becoming quite the spoiled horse.

Also ... just a note ... Farrier work is HARD WORK!!!  Rachel's hooves are growing too fast and they are about to split bad.  I bought a rasp so that I could try my hand at filing them down.  I built a stand out of wood to hold the hoof up and I gave it my best.  THAT IS HARD WORK!!!  I had to take a break after each hoof.  My nippers will be here next week, and those will make a great difference.  Since I don't have any, I had to file and file and file.  I think I successfully located a group of muscles that I don't have.  Hopefully I did enough to keep them from splitting.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the hoof stand. Our farrier is giving my husband trimming lessons on our horses and we could use one of those. I've heard that an old washing machine agitator makes a good hoof stand too.
    Heather in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that does sound like a good idea. I'll never look at the washing machine the same again!

    ReplyDelete