Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Reached my Goal!!!!!

So, I've been working hard for the past few months to get my girls ready to drive as a team.  It's taken lots of time working with the girls and slowly accumulating the gear, but tonight, I got to taste the sweet taste of success.  Tonight I drove my team for the first time!!

At first I harnessed them both up.  This was my first time putting Pam in her newly restored leather team harness, so it took me a bit to get her harness all adjusted and fitted to her.

Once the girls were all all harnessed up, I attached the yoke between the front of them, and then attached their rear breeching straps together.  I found the coolest thing to do this at the local co-op.  I use a bungee trailer tie.  It has a bull snap on one end, and a different kind of snap on the other, and it's a bungee cord.  I used this between the girls breeching straps and it worked awesome!  I then got the team lines hooked up, using my new stainless spreaders, and my new heart line drop.  I had bought these items a months ago to help keep me motivated to finish the harnesses.

I started with some ground driving.  To my surprise, Pam stepped right in line and did great.  I thought Rachel might have to drag her a bit, but all those hours ground driving her has paid off.  The girls did amazing.  I was only planning on ground driving tonight, but since they did so well, I decided it would be a shame not to challenge them.  (It would also be a shame to let that new sled sit there gathering dust!)  :)

I hooked the double tree up to the sled, and backed the girls into position.  I was surprised at how well they backed together.  I thought that would be a train wreck the first time, but they did very well.  They stood great while I hooked everything up, and next thing I knew, I was ready to go.

I asked the girls to step off, and they did.  They were a little unsure at first, and you could see them feeling out how much work they were doing and how the other horse was moving.  They got comfortable pretty quick though, and had no problem pulling the sled.

Ahhh ... the sled.  It was so awesome to stand on the sled, and not have to walk ... for the first 30 seconds anyway.  After 30 seconds these old legs of mine were burning from having to balance on the sled.  Maybe that's a sign that I need to get in better shape.  I just view it as a sign that I need a seat on the sled!  :)

After doing a few small laps up by the house, I went out in the pasture and started to walk the property line.  After walking half the way, I stopped them and let them have a break.  I LOVE THE SLED!!!  You can tell the girls were working.  When I stopped and let them rest, I could see breathing heavy.  Not blowing, but breathing a little labored.  They stood and didn't try to move at all.  So awesome.  I then had them walk another 1/2 mile, and gave them another rest.  I snapped a picture at this point showing my view.  I LOVE that teamster view!  So cool.

About this time, my friend Chuck came over.  Chuck is a teamster, and the first harness I used on LIly was borrowed from him.  I had called him and let him know I was hitching the girls tonight, so he stopped by to see how it was going.  It was awesome to have some company while working the girls.  Chuck followed me back up the pasture and took a few pictures of me driving the horses on the sled.  I got them back up to the house and did a few more laps near the house.  About this time, daylight was ending, so I decided to call it a night.

Wow, just wow.  Tonight I reached my goal!  I drove my girls together as a team.  Such an awesome feeling.  They need a lot more work, but I am very very pleased with them.  They each got an extra big scoop of food tonight after I brushed them down as a thank you.  What a night ... what a night.






6 comments:

  1. congrats! isn't that an awesome feeling? Maybe Pam has only been driven as a team and thats why you had issues when driving her single? I think my Babe had never been driven single as well. She is so much happier as a team. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire! I couldn't have gotten here without you. Don't those harnesses look good on my girls! :)

    I don't think Pam has been driven. She's still really cautious when she hears odd sounds, or when she see's something that alarms her. She's not at ease in the harness like Rachel is. She'll get that way though. Got some miles to put on her to make her relax more in the harness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those harnesses look great! .. I would have given up by now so I'm really impressed how much work you put into them . I'd love to see them in person! By the way , on the subject of abcesses. My Babe evidently abcessed last fall and I didn't really know what was going on .. Its finally grown out to within 3 inches of the ground and of course, all busted out! Her abcess was about 5 inches long! and of course one on each front foot. anyway, thank goodness for a great farrier with a good barefoot trim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! That sounds bad! There's a lot to be said for a good farrier! I'm glad she's getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOT WOOT TIM THE TEAMSTER VERY NICE.
    Im so happy for you.
    the only items i would change are personal preferance 1 ribbon steel on the runners.
    2 cut the front down and mount that
    bus seat buddy.
    man you are looking so good.
    oh yea the best antirot antimouse protective i have ever found is used engine oil.because of the high metal particulate nothing wants to nibble on that stuff and i really like the way it looks.
    IT is so nice to see others enjoying this.
    have a good day Tim
    jim

    ReplyDelete