Sunday, May 30, 2010

My girls pull their first wagon together!

I have been pretty busy working horses this weekend.  Saturday morning I got up with the sun (6AM) and harnessed up the girls.  I then loaded them both, and went over to my friend Pat Chases house.  Pat has been doing this longer then me, and I find him to have some very useful insight and knowledge.  We decided working in the morning would be a good thing, and he told me that if I wanted to bring my girls, I could, or we could just work his.

My goal was just to work my horses on his sled.  His sled has a pole on it for team work, and it's great at getting horses used to having that pole between them.  I had the girls together in no time, and I tried to ground drive the girls into position over the pole like the pros do.  This almost worked, but not quite.  I got their front feet in the right spot, but I couldn't coax the rear ends into position without moving the front.  The girls had no problem scooting over though.
I think I surprised Pat when I hooked them to the sled.  When I ground drive and hook to the wagon, I have been very lucky to teach them to stand perfectly still when they hear the tug chains moving.  I haven't yet had one get fidgety while doing that (knock on wood).  I hitched the girls to the sled without tieing them to the fence nearby.  I think Pat was impressed.

Next, we got down to business.  It was great.  Pat's sled has a Pioneer single implement seat on it.  It's a nice cushy ride!  I worked the girls for about 45 minutes.  Turning, moving, stopping, and even trotting.  Pat's property is awesome for this kind of thing.  His field is sloped, so taking them up hill is quite a workout.  Poor Rachel was sweating pretty quick, while Pam didn't seem to be bothered at all.

Pam is still very cautious while doing this stuff, but she responds great to commands.  When I step them off, she was the first to move, and she seemed to always put her shoulders into the pull.  I had to get after Rachel a bit to step up and match Pam.  They did awesome though!  No rodeos, or funny business.  I was so happy, that I had to get some pictures.  I asked Pat to take them around the field once so I could get some pictures of them working, and he could drive them and tell me what he thought.

After Pat parked the sled on a 45 with the fence, he told me that he thought we should try the girls on his wagon.  I thought this would be a good thing too.  The girls had the initial edge worn off them and they were in a working mood.  The wagon was parked 90 degrees with the fence, and so the girls would have to step over the pole to get in position.  I asked Pat to show me how it is done.  Pat is awesome on the lines!!!  Under his hands, he had the girls perfectly in position on the first try.  He's really good!

So next thing you know, the girls are hitched up to the wagon.  Pat took the picture of me and my boy getting set to drive them with a wagon for the first time.  I then drove them on the wagon for another 30 minutes.  They did amazing.  No problems at all.  Pam is still a little cautious, but she's getting better every time I work her.

While I was doing all this, Pat had pulled his team up and had them harnessed.  I decided the girls had earned a rest, and so I unhooked them from the wagon and tied them.  Pat took his mares, with each of their colts in tow, and began having them pull the sled.

After a few minutes of this, Pat had an idea.  He asked me to drive my team in the field with him.  he wanted to see how they all reacted working in the same field together.  I thought this was worth a shot, and so I agreed.  I felt bad for the girls for how much they'd worked for their first real day as a team, so I opted to ground drive them.  I started off just following Pat, and I'm convinced that horses have a parade mode that they just go into.  Following Pats girls on the sled, my girls just walked perfectly behind them.  No input on the lines needed.  They did awesome.  Then I went in parallel and then lead with my team.  It was a good experience.
 
After that we did a few more things.  Pat has an orphan colt that thinks he is a human.  :)  He leads fine on halter, but since he has no momma, he hasn't had the opportunity to go along while his momma is being worked under harness.  I decided to try and give him the chance.  While my girls were tied, I walked the colt up to my girls to see how they reacted.  Buddy (the orphan colt) had no interested in them, and they didn't care he was there at all.  Because of this, I tied him to the side of Rachel, and ground drove them with Buddy in tow.  That poor colt got drug all over the field.  LOL.  He will follow a human fine, but he did NOT want to follow another horse.  It was a great experience for him to have.  That went awesome, and we'll probably do it again.  It was really cool to think that we had 7 horses working at one time (Pat's team + babies, my team + buddy the orphan).  :)

The only slight problem we had involved the other 2 colts.  Those two colts know they are boys, and they know my horses are not their mothers, and they know that one of my mares (Rachel) is open and in season.  After those 2 colts had been tied to their mommas for about 20 minutes, Pat unhooked them so they could nurse, and also so they could relax a bit.  They were great, till my girls were within 50 feet.  Ace (Pat's gorgeous colt) saw my mares and ran right up to them full speed.  He started clicking his teeth on Pam, and Pam (who is bred) shook her head in disgust and tried to stomp a front foot at him.  I am trying to ground drive while this is happening.  Ace then tried to ride Pam's back and was rewarded with a kick to the side.  After that, he ran to the front of both girls and tried to kick them.  From there he really took an interest in Rachel, to her disgust as well.  So I spent the next few minutes doing circles away from Ace, while Pat drove his mares back up to the barn.  Ace soon followed his momma.  Lesson learned!  From now on, we don't drive my girls in the same pasture with those babies loose.

This also got me to thinking, and I think this kind of behavior is exactly why some people think geldings are the best horses to drive.  I can see a scenario where a fella could be driving a perfectly behaved set of mares, but if one is in season, and a stallion happened to be nearby, you might be up for an uninvited situation!  What would you even do in that situation?  Carry a gun?  That just seems scary to me!

Great weekend!  I'm still grinning from it.  If you're reading this, you made it to the end of this lengthy blog.  Congrats!  :)  More sled work to come.  I'm really pleased with the progress Pam and Rachel are making.  Wonderful horses! 

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day.The sled is an awesome idea. No expensive wagon to buy, but you can still haul things. That is a good point about mares being in season with young colts around. I prefer geldings myself, but have horsey friends that love their mares!
    Heather in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing that Pam is really getting into the work! She may end up being a better puller than Rachel. As for stepping over the pole, I was taught to drive toward the pole so the horses are at a 90 degree angle to the pole. Then you ask the closer horse to 'step' over the pole. My two horses are from Amish farms so I'm sure I didn't teach them anything but they just step into place, its pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy reading your blogs, and look forward to them as I can relate to it as my Dad had a team and we worked them and (played) with them in the fields or in the woods logging. I miss the farm, the horses,and my Dad so you bring back many good memories. Its been 30 years since Dad passed and everything was sold. Just looking at the pictures I can feel those lines and hear the jingle of the chains and hear the clip clop of their feet. Thanks again for the memories......

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello tim i have often had trouble with dogs cows horses or what ever and have trained my horses that the buggy whip is nothing to fear when im talking to them gently, i often use the buggy whip to pop a horsefly and get no reaction from the horse at all,but then again ive gotten pretty good at hitting just the fly.and often before the buggy whip i used my hand to slap the crap out of the horse to kill a horsefly and got no reaction from the horse as long as i talk sweet to them while doing it.they have come to understand that the smack coincides with the fly being gone.
    so any way if i can quit rambeling, studs around mares learn pretty quick what happens after a pop or 2 to the ears,and i also talk mean to my horses if they react to shenanigans from other horses.
    So that no matter what, they react to my commands.
    I belive very firmly in having a very strong bond with all my animals,up to the point where my first horse i spent many hours sleeping on his bare back during snow storms and waking up with my beard frozen to his mane.
    My stud pyr will not eat until i give the verbal command and will ask if he can mate before doing so.
    I guess my wandering point is that with a good bond amazing things can be done, i call my chickens and they come and step into my hand[3 months of having 3 chicks in a large aquarium in my bed room and my 3rd generation of training chickens]
    I mean lets face it every tool we use with our draft horses is just a reminder to obey dad [or mom]
    Today i moved a small building with Cody 10x20?
    and used just a lead rope on his bit on 1 side.
    [pics can be seen at jimthehorsetraveler blog tomorrow, maybe even video]
    The only part that was hard was getting cody to take off and move gently instead of galloping from the start.
    All because he loves me AND loves to work.
    So maybe a trip to get a buggy whip with a fiberglass 4' handle and a 4'-5' tail,a half hour a day of practice popping at a tree leaf,near you horses but not at them until you always hit the leaf you pick, give them a tiny bite of grain every time you miss soon they will come running when you pop the whip and soon you will be a fly cracker plus we should admit whipcracking is still fun at age 40.
    hey tim aint it cool how we can find ways to play that we are able to claim is useful, and manly man learning.
    Good night draft fans
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, I think a big sled would really be ideal for carrying things. On mine right now, it's too small to do much of that. If I had another 3 foot or so off the back, it would be better suited for that. I think this will end up a pure breaking sled.

    Claire, Rachel really and truly surprised me with how willing she was to step into it. The horses are funny with how they are matched. When it's an easy pull (slightly downhill) Rachel is out in front and Pam is holding back, but when it's an uphill pull, Rachel falls behind with Pam really stepping out. Rachel pops back in line easily though just by saying her name ("Rachel, Step up!"). I'm sure the girls will get better at the pole as I do it. Now I just need to get a pole for my wagon so we can practice (and so I can take wagon rides with both girls pulling!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marge, You are sooo welcome. I'm very envious that you were raised around this stuff. I love it, and love that my son gets to be around it. I hope someday he'll be able to say he can remember the clopping feet, stretching collars, and the tug chains jingling. Thanks so much for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea's Jim! I also agree that a bond with the animal is critical in really getting them to do the things you want. I avoided MANY train wrecks with Lily just due to how she would instantly calm down when I said the word "easy". That horse totally trusted me, and I in turn trusted her. Due to that bond, I survived 3 harness breaking under extreme load instances, one time when the quarter straps on the wagon came unhooked and Lily was rear ended by the wagon, and countless other instances. My horses are fine with me smacking the crap out of the horse flies too. I may have to try it with a whip. I'd have to get good first though or I'd really go through some grain! ;) I tell ya ... It's a ball doing useful things around the farm with horses.

    What happened to your blog Jim? I tried to go to it to read about the shed moving and it said the web address was unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello tim its jimthehorsetraveler.
    1 blog.
    Im only able to get to my blog by going through yours and i have no idea why but im trying to fix this tonight.
    2 Shed moving.
    OH YEA BUDDY, I love my horse.
    the shed has made it up to where the hill flattens off very much.
    And i got a real appreciation for true drafthorse power,the bosses jeep in 4 wheel would not pull it even with the same block and tackle, Cody flat did the BIG BOY number on it and yanked it right over the crest of the hill.
    He also pulled a non running flat tired van up the hill and out of the hole it died in.
    Earlier that day bosses daughter and i went saddle and it was miserable,hot humid Cody was cranky.[needs more saddle time]

    3 HOLY COW rear ended the horse!!!!
    correct me if im wrong but that is right up there with a teamsters greatest fears.
    I do everything I can to avoid that.
    1 I use the largest locking clips i can find and do not ever hook up the old fashioned way.
    2 I build everything over strong.if electrical conduit will do I use 1 inch water pipe.
    AND weld in gussets.

    ok stupid human story.
    i got hitched up and in the wagon and told Cody to walk he took half a step and then balked on me.
    So i got down and looked things over the collar was fine the saddle was right I checked the driving reins which went through all the proper rings,the tires were not flat i couldn't find anything so i got back up and said walk Cody said are you sure and I assured him all was as it should be so ok off we go.up out of the drive over the road crown down in the ditch up on the road and we were halfway up jailhouse hill when it did seem there was something missing but could not figure it out.so by now everybody in the wagon is looking to find what is wrong but no one can find it and they are all thinking maybe the old man is missing more than they thought.when i realised there was a sound missing,
    I STARTED LAUGHING LIKE A CRAZY MAN.now remember all this time Cody is merrily chugging away pulling us up the steepest hill in town.
    So when we got to the top i had one of the boys hop out and hook the tugs to the single tree.

    See i use his western reins to hold the collar snug to his western saddle which is where his spider hooks up etc etc.
    and his reins were a hand made gift the only set that sara ever made, out of parachute cord.
    4 strands made into 1, each strand rated at 550 lbs pull,NOT what we ever planned for them,but....overbuild....
    see ya Tim

    ReplyDelete