Sunday, May 23, 2010

Harnesses complete, small sled started.

No pictures yet, but I'll get some soon.

Harness restoration project = COMPLETE!!!  I ended up ordering all the miscellanious hardware parts I needed from shipshewana harness.  They had a great online inventory and were very good to work with.  I was impressed with the quality of the snaps and leather loops.  I would recommend them.

With the receipt of the package from them, it only took me 2 hours to finish all the harnesses.  This means that both breast straps are done, and I am ready to fit Pam with her harness.  The only thing I'm lacking, is a 24 inch collar.  This week I am going to try to head over to my friend Pats and make the purchase.  Once I get that collar, I'll harness both girls and post pictures.  Very exciting.  Pat also has a doubletree and yoke that I can use till I get my own.

Another thing I started this past week, was the construction of my first horse sled.  I have been wanting to make one for a while, but couldn't decide on how to build it.  On one hand, I wanted a big heavy one to break the team to, but I also wanted one lightweight enough that I could use it with a single horse.  My solution was to build 2 sleds.  I am halfway through building my first one which is the small lightweight one (4x5).  I'll post a blog on exactly what I build and show some pics of it in use, as well with the pro's and con's I find from it.  The second sled will be made out of 2 8 foot telephone poles and will be roughly 4x8.  The second one will be purely for the team, and will be a great aid in teaching them to pull, and also to appreciate a nice break and stand well with a "woah".

Rachel is doing well and I think the abscess has run it's course.  If all goes well, I'll be posting pictures of the girls within the next few days in their harnesses.  Very exciting!

4 comments:

  1. yay! can't wait to see photos. Are you happy with the leather? did you get it clean and dry? Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it clean for sure. It seems to be overly saturated with neetsfoot oil. I noticed that some peices still left a yellowish film on your hand when handling it. The leather is in great shape though. I didn't brake any straps, and all parts seem to be in excellent condition.

    Thanks again for the harnesses Claire! Pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey tim just had a thought keep your eye out for biothane butt straps.
    i was real leary of the claims for biothane for 3 years i watched and waited and now have biothane reins and buttstraps and absolutly love them they can sit in the sun for a month lay in the creek for a month and be wiped dry and used that day and you have to look to make sure they are not leather.
    Every time leather dries out the interlocking fibers of the leather lose the ability to hold onto each other by a percentage think of it like velcro being used over and over you cant see or feel the damage but i found out it is real when 3 kids stepped in front of my 3000 lb wagon at a fast trot.the mom was screaming look for cars so the oldest girl did and then drug her little brother and sister in front of tha wagon at a distance of 20 feet my percheron did a skid stop.
    the butt strap made a noise like a gunshot when it came apart,and since i use a western saddle as part of my draft tack the stress shifted to his withers and the saddle tree, about that time my foot hit the brakes and i helped stop the wagon [thank god he was barefoot]but lets face it my horse saved those kids.
    neither parents or kids had a clue that any thing had happened[ i was shaking in my boots]
    leethehorselogger.com is a traveler like bobthewagonteamster.com
    lee had a woman walk into the side of his horse as he walked his horses and wagon into Seattle to see the space needle, she fell on her butt dropped her cellphone and electronic notepad and then realised what she had done.lee pulls a small barn with his 3 horses.
    you to will notice that some people are not able to see a horse wagon until they have touched it.
    this is a very strange phenomenone that will be noticed by road drivers
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds a bit scary Jim! Snapping a breeching strap sounds like something I want to avoid. I have biothane team lines, and single shaft loops and I love them. My next set of harnesses will be like that.

    I guess driving a team with a wagon is a lot like driving a motorcycle. To keep safe and event free, you need to drive like nobody see's you! :)

    ReplyDelete