Friday, January 15, 2010

Setting up to drive my first team of horses!!!

Well today I got off of work at 1PM.  I got home and decided that I should work the horses.  I'm getting ready to help a friend drive his horses 3 abreast, and so I've really had hitching on my mind.  I determined that today I was going to hook up Lily and Pam together, and do some ground driving.  I actually didn't think I would get to it today, I figured I might spend my day just getting Pam to let me put the harness on her.  Little did I know.

I started off just tieing the girls together on my trailer.  I figured Pam might do better if Lily was close by (due to her herd anxieties).  I started brushing them both off well.  Both loved this attention, and they actually behaved like ladies and waited their turns.

Next came the collars.  I have 2 harnesses, my new one, and the old horse sized logging harness a friend leant me to start off.  The logging one barely fits Lily, so I decided to use that one on her, and my new one on Pam.  I put the collar on Lily, and Pam watched intently.  Then came the time for hers.  Since this was the first time, I decided that I would unfasten it, and just put it on that way (versus pushing the whole thing over her head).  I was totally surprised when this went without a hitch.  Pam did not care at all that I put the collar on her.  This got me a little excited.  I figured I would have to fight her on this new stuff, but the laid back draft attitude came through for sure.

Next I brought the logging harness over and started to get Lily all harnessed up.  This harness has chain tugs, and I figured this would spook Pam a bit.  To my surprise, she was okay with it.  I was beginning to think that she was taking cues from Lily.  Since Lily didn't care, she decided it was okay.  Of course nothing bad happened with Lily, so next it was Pam's turn.  I walked over with the harness on my left arm and shoulder.  I let her sniff it, and I rubbed her shoulder with it.  She propped a foot up, and chewed a bit, showing she was completely relaxed, so I walked down her side and proceeded to slide it over her back.  She had no problem with this.  She stood there just fine and let me adjust it, and put it on properly.  I found that my new Harness barely fits Pam.  Looks like I'll be needing to get a new harness for her!  :)

Before I did anything else, I decided I'd better make sure Pam knows what the harness is going to sound like as she walks.  I lead her around a bit without a halter on.  She did awesome.  She seemed to be more concerned that Lily wasn't with her, than she was with the creaks and noises coming from the harness.

I don't have a yoke yet.  My mind got thinking, and I figured out a pretty sweet method for hooking the girls together.  I took a belly band that I had and used it.  I attached a billet around each of the girls harnesses (one for Pam, and one for Lily), then I just hooked the belly strap between the two billets.  This gave them about 40 inches of separation.  This looked about right to me.  After I did this, I put the halters on them.  Pam didn't know what to think about the Liverpool bit I had on her.  With the halters on, I unhooked both lead ropes, and lead both of them around.  I wanted them to get used to feeling connected at the collar.  The did very well, and neither of them freaked out or anything.  I think Pam was happy as a clam to have Lily right there with her.

So ... since things had gone so well, and I hadn't had any problems, I decided it was time.  I was going to try to drive them both at the same time.  I've never done this before, so I was a little cautious about it, however, I've been reading the Work Horse Handbook a lot lately, and I felt like I knew what I needed to know to make it happen.

I got out my team lines, and began assembling them and attaching them properly.  This was the hardest part of the whole ordeal.  I got them on right, but it was hard to know how much to adjust the inside check lines.  I did what I thought was best, said a prayer, and untied their lead ropes.  Once their lead ropes were secured to their hames, I got in place, and began issuing commands.

I can't say enough about what a wonderful horse Lily is.  She was AMAZING!  She must've been very annoyed having Pam attached to her, but she did just fine.  After doing a few large loops in my front yard, I had to stop and adjust the lines.  Pam was basically following Lily.  This made it so the lines were basically only tight on Lily, and Pam was just being pulled around by her collar.  I let the right check line all the way forward, and the left all the way back.  I figured this would help to keep as much tension on Pam as she trailed behind.  After this, I got my mother in law to get the camera ready, and then it was time to actually ground drive the girls.

pictures attached  ... to be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment