Friday, January 8, 2010

Cold Weather hits Texas!

We’re right in the middle of an “arctic blast”. Yesterday the temps stayed below freezing during the day. This morning I woke up to 15 degrees. Things will stay this way for tomorrow too. What gives?!?! This is Texas! I thought I left temps like that behind when I moved here from up North. J

Feeding the horses this morning sure made me feel bad for those horse owners who live North in even worse temps. My water barrels had completely frozen into big blocks of ice. I had to take fresh water out in new containers, and I’m sure they are already frozen again by now.

I feel bad for Lily and Pam. The ground in their pen was very mucked up due to them being in it while it was muddy. Well now that the ground is frozen, they can’t walk very well on it. It’s kind of entertaining to watch them slowly walk, carefully placing each foot. Hopefully this cold gets gone so once again they can use their weight to flatten those muddy peaks into smooth ground.

One of my goals for this year is to begin working on building a barn. I’ve drawn up my plans. It is going to take some effort, but it will be nice. Then on days like these, I can give the horses access to stalls so they can get out of the wind completely. I’m going to build a 4 stall barn. One or two of the stalls will be used for storing wagons. I’m also going to build them so that I can convert 2 stalls into a birthing stall. It’s exciting to be planning it. Hopefully I can put things together to make it come to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment