Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Final Assembly of the IH #9 Mower

Last night as I was working the girls, I saw the big brown UPS truck.  I got really excited because I am waiting on the last few parts for the mower.  Sure enough, there was a package to me from Macknair & Sons in PA.  I was as excited as a little kid the night before christmas.

I contained my excitement to eat a meal as a family, but once that meal was over, outside I went, with box in hand.

The first thing I did, was put a coat of paint on the fender rod.  It came red, and I wanted it blue.  After I did that, I went out and completely torqued down the sickle guards, and then used my new bolts to attach the sickle bar to the mower.  I then just kept going, and after an hour or two, the entire mower was together.  So awesome!

One word of warning.  That lift spring is DANGEROUS!  I had the mower down on the ground, and was making some adjustments to the gag lever.  Well, I had let go of the lift lever and was using two hands to line up the gag lever, when SNAP, the lift lever snapped back to the fully upright position.  This smashed my thumb horribly.  I only have all my thumb thanks to my thumbnail.  Without it, it may have removed the end of my thumb.  So ... when working with the gag lever and such items, take it from me, and disconnect the lift spring!!!

I'll show some pictures now, and then I'll talk a little bit about what I have yet to do.

Here she is!  Blade down, Ready to go.

A view from the right.  Sickle bar down.

From the front.  Yoke and Tree's installed, ready for horses.

Bar line
Mower with bar in the upright position
Bar in upright position.  I'm lucky that this mower came with the rod and the nut to hold the bar up.

The sickle bar in upright position
A close-up of the pitman assembly

A close-up of the yoke with bar in upright position

The Draft Bracket with double tree installed.

To install the draft bracket on the pole I had, I used washers on the inside  to take up the gap.

I put an eye bolt 3 inches down from the end of the pole to hold the yoke.

I'm having a hard time putting into words how happy I am.  To see what was once a giant rust bucket take shape like this has been awesome!  I did try to pull the mower with everything installed.  It has a lot of drag on the blade.  So even though it's assembled, I still have work to do to get it useable for hay.  Here's the list of things I have left to do.

  1. Install the new fender rod once the paint dries.  I currently just have a bolt holding the front of the inner shoe's sole on.  The fender rod will go in that location.  
  2. Get the timing bar unstuck.  The timing bar (bar that bolts on right in front of the pitman) is supposed to be adjustable.  Mine is seized up.  I tried and tried to get it unstuck, but after talking with Norman Macknair, my last option is to put the flanged side in a forge, and try to get it to release that way.  If this doesn't work, then I'll just have to buy a new one from Macknair & Son for $65.  Repaint it when it's done.
  3. Do some touch-up painting - there's a few parts that got scuffed while installing.  I'd like to touch them up so they look pretty.
  4. Adjust the bar lead.  I know this involves twisting the yoke around the push bar.  I need to measure and make sure I have enough lead.
  5. Adjust the timing of the sickle bar.  One the lead is good, then I can adjust the timing so the bar cuts appropriately and won't get jammed as easy.
  6. Adjust the wear guards and other sickle blade items.  I'm still not sure how to adjust these, so I'm going to do my best.
 Once all of this is done, I'll be ready to cut hay with my machine.  YAY!  It's so great to see this all coming together.  I'm grinning ear to ear.

IH #9 Mower Page

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice work you did, the mower looks pristine!

    Got 2 tips for you:
    - the ring of your neckyoke should slip over the tongue and be secured with a little chain or Pioneer safety latch for example.
    The bolts which keep the guards are mounted the wrong way, nuts must be on the upside of the bar. This way they will drag in the ground.

    Good luck with the adventure and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerome!!

    The neckyoke I should use is one that bolts through. I only have an extra one that has the ring, so what you see there is my way of making what I have work. The ring on that neck yoke is too small to fit around the pole. Once I size the mower on my horses, I'll know if the end of the pole needs to go up or down, and I'll make some decisions from there though. You are right though, typically, when using that style of neck yoke, you put it around the team pole and safety chain it.

    Believe it or not, the sickle bolts on this ARE the right way. The top side of the bar has the flared out square holes that the bolt fits into. The bottom side of the guards is flat, for a normal nut to fit on them. The new guards I got were also flared out like the top is, and so I had to get some acorn style nuts to tighten it up. But nut side down is the way this mower was originally designed and used. The old style guards were not made like the current ones so that the bolt could fit in them. I think you may be right that newer sickle guards are made to be mounted with the nut on the top side, but these old ones would be impossible to do like that.

    I'm hopeful that this weekend I'll be hitching up to it and using it. Cross your fingers for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    What width evener did you install on the mower? What was the original evener width and did you use the same?

    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey David, My memory is fuzzy on that. Let me take some measurements and get back to you. This mower came with the original evener, so I'll measure it and the green pioneer one in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't find the original evener. Can't remember where I stored it. The evener I used was a 32".

    ReplyDelete