Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Where has the time gone? Update!

I figured it's about time for me to give a report on how things are and what I've been up to.  I can't believe it's been 3 months since I last posted.  I don't have any pretty pictures to share, but here's a quick bit of info.

I've been working on getting my Masters Degree in Systems Engineering the past 2 years.  It's through a work sponsored program, and it's been pretty cool.  This last class was a real tough one, and it seems that's what I've been doing for the past month.  Seems between my school, my job, and my son, I've been a busy boy.

The horses are SPOILED ROTTEN!  Oh they are rotten right now.  They've been in the pasture for 3 months living on green grass.  They won't even come up when I call them, not even for sweet feed.  I can see them off in the distance, looking at me, and I think they are laughing at me.  "That ol' teamster is a fool if he thinks we're leaving this nice green grass for him!  He'll probably put us to work!"

I do take walks out through the pasture occasionally to ensure they remember who I am.  Buck always runs right up to me.  He is eager to be pet and get attention.  Rachael and Nellie will allow me to walk up to them and pet them.  Pam is quite a bitchy mare lately, and half the time she'll turn and walk away, and the other half of the time she allows me to pet her.  Such a Diva!  They are all fat and happy though.  They've slicked out with the heat coming on, and they all look really pretty.

Upcoming Events:

One thing I'll try to comment on is an effort I'm doing to help the Throw Away Ponies rescue group in Rockwall Texas.  They have a little horse that is unable to be ridden, but they'd like to teach her to drive.  I'll be heading out there tomorrow to check her out and introduce her to the harness.  They say she's smart and sweet, so we could be pulling a tire by the end of the night.  We'll see how it goes.

June 8 - The Terrell Antique Tractor Show!  Once again I'll join my friends Mark and Bev with the team.  We'll have the girls on show, and then do a tractor pull with them.  This is always a good time.  I just hope I can convince the horses to come out of the pasture for it.  :)

June 22 - The saddle club I belong to is putting on a starters clinic for horses.  I'd like to ride Buck, and so I thought this was a good opportunity to spend some time with him.  We'll have a professional trainer there, who will help us work with our horses.  I've saddled Buck before, and even sat on him, but I've never actually ridden him.  This is going to be a good time.

The other thing on my mind is using my newly restored mower!  As the bermuda and rye starts to die off and the weeds fill the field, I'll be using my mower to cut it all back.  This was the reason I restored it in the first place.  I have no tractor and brushhog to knock all that pesky goatweed back, so I'm hoping the sickle mower will do something to help me out.

That's about it for now.  I'll keep y'all updated of any new horsy fun I get myself into.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment