Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 2013 Update

It seems my posting is getting less and less frequent.  My job is a bit more demanding now, and I just seem to forget to blog some of the things going on around the place.  I'll work on that.  Here's pretty much what's been going on with me.

The horses:

The horses are well.  Nellie is pregnant and is starting to show a bit of a belly.  She's still queen of this place and makes sure all others fall in line.

We've had a shift in the herd.  Buck decided he was done being bossed around by Rachael, and he challenged her.  I couldn't believe that he did that, and won the battle.  Rachael is now kind of the odd horse out.  Buck and Pam have formed a tight bond to each other, and they both bond with Nellie.  Rachael is the grouchy old lady that once used to rule the land.  Kind of sad.  Due to this shift, Rachael is not getting all she needs to eat, and since she is a hard keeper anyway, she really started to show it for a bit.  We have her pulled out in her own pen now, and we're feeding her a large portion of food to get her nice and healthy again.  I think she enjoys being able to take her time eating and not have Buck come challenging her for her food.

I had the farrier out today.  Oliver Jetton is amazing!  He removed the shoes of Rachael and Pam and trimmed everyone up.  I love having Oliver out, because not only to I get farrier work done, but the horses all have a great experience with him and it's good for them.

I haven't driven the horses in a bit, but that's fixin' to change.

Equifest - February 23rd, 2013


Some folks are putting on the first annual NorthEast Texas Equifest.  This is a day long event that focuses on all horses, breeds, and disciplines.  My friend Bev was invited to show her Belgian Stallion Vegas and represent the drafts.  She then arranged for me to do a 30 minute driving demo.  From 5PM - 5:30PM I'll be using Rachael and Pam to demonstrate driving.  Rather than focus on a boring wagon, I'm going to focus on the farm side of things.  I'll bring my forecart, disc, and mower.  I figure this will be very informational.  I plan on a brief overview of the harness (main parts, what they do, and how a harness works).  I then plan on driving the girls.  I might skid a log, or pull the mower.  It's going to be a great time.  The equipment will set out near us, and will be something that anyone who walks by can touch, look at, and enjoy.

Anyone around, feel free to come say hi.  I should be there all day.

 

 

 

 

The Mower

Here is the current status.  Just need 3 bolts to attach the sickle bar.  So close!

Equifest kind of lit a fire under my butt to finish my mower.  I got a part I was in need of, and did more painting.  I'm almost done.  I'll cover all the mower stuff in a separate blog entry.


Good times for me!  I just wish I had more time to drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment