Saturday, March 13, 2010

Rachel In Harness

Well, today was an amazingly beautiful day.  On days like today, I can't help but work the horses!  (especially after all the rain and mud we've had this year).

So today, Pam and I did our thing.  She once again let me lift her feet and clean them out without the use of the rope I've been using for training.  She did awesome.  I was going to saddle her up and ride, but I have some plans for later, and I decided that I wanted to spend more time with Rachel today.  So Pam got put away, but she wasn't sad at all, cuz we had a whole bag of apples that were on the downhill side of their life.  Rachel didn't want any, so Pam got all of them.  She was very very happy about that.

So Rachel got some real nice one on one time.  I really like her!!  She is so easy to work, and so laid back.  She is a lot like Lily in that I can do anything to her without her even caring.  She even surpasses Lily in that she will let me also mess with her ears and mouth (Lily was protective of those areas).  Rachel is filling out nicely, and I think I've been able to give her more nutrients than her baby is taking.  She isn't bagging yet, so I'm not expecting a baby anytime soon.

After all the brushing, I decided to put the harness on her and see how she took to it.  I decided to put the bridle on first, since I was pretty sure she was going to need to get use to the straight liverpool bit that I use.  It took some work to get her to take the bit, but we got there.  I then let her stand for 15 minutes while she kept shaking her head trying to get the halter off.  She didn't complain at all about the rest of the harness.  She stood like a lady (aside from the occasional head shake) and let me adjust everything to her.

After that, I spend 30 minutes just walking her around my property.  She didn't react at all to all the metal parts moving and clanging together.  I decided to keep todays lesson simple, and end it at that.  Maybe next time I'll hook the lines up and work on ground driving her.

I did stop for a second, and ran in the house and got a camera.  So here she is.  Rachel in harness.



No comments:

Post a Comment