Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rachel Drives!!!

This afternoon was awesome!  I got home with plenty of time to kill, and decided that I would work the horses.  Rachel needs to gain a bit of muscle, and I want to see what she remembers from her old hitch training, so it seemed logical that ground driving her was the best thing to do.  So that is just what I did.

She harnessed up with no problem, and even let me slide the collar over her head instead of unhooking the clasp.  I was very happy about that.  When the lines got hooked up to the bit, she started getting a bit antsy.  She wanted to start walking off, but the lead rope was keeping her in place.  Once I was ready, I unhooked her lead rope, walked behind her, and we were off.

When I told her to "Step up", she sprung into a canter.  Her feet were lifting well, and I jogged behind her keeping the tension on the lines.  She responded VERY lightly to the lines.  I was really excited about this.

I walked her in a few circles, and then stopped her.  She really struggled at standing still.  She kept throwing her head, and wanting to get moving again.

After 15 minutes, she settled in nicely, and I was just enjoying myself driving her.  She was incredibley responsive.  The slightest pressure on either line would get her to move, and towards the end of our session, she was stopping on the whoa command before I really put any pressure on the lines.

Like Lily, Rachel had someone who loved her enough to put some time into her training.  She seemed to remember what to do, and after 40 minutes of driving, she was acting like a pro.  Thanks so much to whoever trained her!

I wore her out after 45 minutes of driving.  Her head was getting pretty low towards the end (which is when my wife took the pictures).  This was a great day!  Rachel got a good work out, and I got to see her perform in harness.

This really exctied me, because I had counted myself out this year for all the major parades.  I'm almost thinking that I may not be down for as long as I thought.

Up next, drive her while dragging the tractor tire behind her.  Once I'm comfortable with her doing that, then I'll head to my friend Rogers, and make use of his 2 wheeled training cart.  If that goes well, I'll have to dust off my wagon, and get working her with a real wagon.

Great times here!  I've got a great team, and they are coming along nicely.  I can't be more satisfied right now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment