Saturday, March 6, 2010

Introducing ... Rachel.


Introducing the newest member of the 3A Ranch.  This is Rachel.  I got her from a friend who has a private rescue organization here in greenville, tx.  (http://www.wrights3wranch.com

I really like Rachel.  She is about 10 years old.  She is a papered Belgian.  She stands over 17 hands.  She is bred to Kim's stallion (for information on Ben, Kim's registered Belgian stallion, go to her website which is listed above).  I am guessing that Rachel will foal in the next month.

Rachel is really sweet natured with me, and reminds me a lot of Lily.  She walked right up to me to put the halter on, and then she trailered without a problem.  Once I got her home, she had to stand tied for 1 1/2 hours while I got her stall (which will also be a foaling stall) ready.  To my surprise, she stood like a perfect lady.  No pawing or other bad habits or anxieties were shown.  I was very impressed with her.  I was told that she was green broke on hitch a few years ago, so I'll have to see what she remembers.

It didn't take long for Pam to come over and check out her new friend.  They snorted at each other (which is the horse way of saying "...hey...") and Rachel let out a few squeals occasionally.  For those of you who don't know, a lead mare will express her dominance by squealing at another mare when kicking or biting is not an available option.  It doesn't sound like a good way to say "I'm in charge", but it works great for horses.

Besides being totally happy with how awesome Rachel is, I saw these two girls together, and realized what a close match they are.  Rachel is a bit taller than Pam, and Pam is wider than Rachel.  But they look pretty close to each other in size.  Looking at those two together got me real excited about the team in the making I have.  It's gonna take a lot of work to get there, but I'm excited to do it.  I think Rachel is going to fit in real nicely here at the ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment