Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Playing with Rachel's baby

Last night I spent some more time with Rachel.  I really really like this mare.  The more I get to know her, the more she impresses me.  As I walked into her stall, she gently walked over to me and lowered her head right to the perfect height for me to put on her halter.  It was awesome.  I've never had a horse that would do that before.  I've had them stand still, but never lower their head to make life easy.

 

I brushed Rachel out real good, and the wife and I were assessing Rachel's pregnancy.  I've had my doubts lately about how soon Rachel is going to foal, and so I had my wife (who is a vet tech for a small animal clinic in town) out to help me in assessing the situation.  As I brushed her all over, I noticed a bit of movement on Rachel’s right side, in the soft area between her ribs and her rear leg.  I put my hand there, and there was distinct movement, that I could not dismiss as gas or normal digestive movement.  My wife and I both held our hands on this area and felt the baby moving around.  It was really cool!  I started pressing in on that area, and the little foal seemed to push back.  I pressed again and the area didn't budge at all, as if trying to resist my pushing.  Then suddenly the foal moved and disappeared completely from that spot.  A few seconds later the movement came back to that area.

 

So Rachel is bred.  I have no idea when to expect the baby.  She isn't bagging at all, but I've read and heard that that isn't necessary a guarantee that she won't foal soon.  I guess only time will tell.  In the meantime, I'll just keep working her and getting her in shape.

 

One other cool thing to note today is the change in Pam.  Pam used to be this normal horse, who liked other horses and didn't want any  human interaction at all.  Well last night as we were focusing so much time and attention on Rachel, Pam was right there, longing for attention.  If we came within her heads reach of the fence line, she would reach out and gently nuzzle us.  She seems to love the affection that comes from humans now.  It's awesome to see this horse transform like this.  I even caught a glimpse of her nuzzling Rachel.  These two girls are kept in different stalls, but I think they are already pretty good friends.  It's awesome to have 2 sweet girls like I have.  How did I get so lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment