Wednesday, December 5, 2012

More Pictures from last Saturday's Ride

I had a passenger on my wagon who has some skills with a camera.  I got the pictures today and am VERY impressed!  Enjoy!

This is me and my girls.  


Here's the wagon, all decorated for the season.
I don't go far from my Dr. Pepper.  :)
Pat Chase Ground driving his team to hitch them up.

Pat Chase, and my father in law ready for our wagon ride.
My good buddy, Pat Chase with his beautiful Belgians.
My riders.  Jacob my apprentice, and the Jones family.  Great way to spend a day!
My pretty girls.  Rachael and Pam standing for a break. 

Rachal and Pam.  You can kind of see my spreader configuration here.

Standing for a break.
"Rachael, Pam, Haw ... Come Around.  Good girls!"

Pat and Bob enjoying the ride.
Speed Limit 60?  We better get a move on!
Off the busy roads and enjoying the country.

Pat coming up the road.

3 comments:

  1. Impressive! Tim, in the photo with your father-in-law, each Belgian has a pole and that is attached to the larger pole. I am learning about pair driving so am curious about this set up.

    Thanks!

    Lori R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori. So my harnesses are your typical type with a breast strap that hooks to the yoke. A strap also hooks from the yoke snap down between the horses legs and to the breeching. Pat uses what are called "Side backer" harnesses. Instead of the strap running between the legs, a strap runs from the breeching up both sides of the horse, and hooks to that little wood piece (I think it might be called a whipple bar but I'd have to look into it more to tell you for sure). Each of those wood pieces then snaps to the yoke. Both harnesses accomplish the same thing, it's just different in how the breeching hooks up to the yoke. Hope that makes sense.

    Good eyes to catch that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK ... so it's not a Whipple bar ... it's called a Jockey Yoke. I headed over to the ruralheritage website and found a good place where Sidebacker vs. Bellybacker was being discussed. The physical difference is exactly how I described above, but there are some pro's and con's for each type listed on this page and I found it very informative.

    http://ruralheritage.com/messageboard/frontporch/14016.htm

    ReplyDelete