Monday, December 3, 2012

Busy times prepping for the Christmas season.

Whew!  It's a whirlwind of horse activity at my place right now.  So much that I can't seem to find time to post about it.

I had the best draft farrier around out to my place.  Oliver Jetton came out and put shoes on the Rachael and Pam.  Pam has been turning into a bit of a butthead lately with her feet.  When Oliver first picked the front hoof up, she stomped it back down in a defiant manner.  Oliver remained calm, used his little rope trick, and instantly Pam remembered him and stood like a lady for him the rest of the time.  I swear he is part horse whisperer to the drafts.  Thanks Oliver!
Oliver on the left with his son putting shoes on Pam

Oliver and son putting shoes on Rachael
Another fun thing I got to do was to head over to my friend Bev's and help do an assessment on their horses.  This meant that we pulled out all their harness and took inventory, then I pulled a few horses out and we saw how they worked.  I got to work Haley, a big ol' Belgian.  She was a ribbon winner in cart, so she went right to work and is going to be a great wagon horse for Mark and Bev.  I also worked Rosie (oh Rosie ... Rosie Rosie ... the same Rosie that gave me fits at my place last year).  She hasn't changed.  So we moved on.  :)  I got to work Pride, a black Clydesdale.  We got her hooked to the cart and mark went for his first ride with his horse and his cart.  Way awesome.  Lastly, I got to work their Friesian stud colt.  He's so awesome.  We worked on standing and leading.  He's so gorgeous.  It was a very fun day.  I love when I get to spend time with Mark and Bev.  They are two of the best friends a guy can get.

Mark and Pride on their first ride together.  Awesome!


With shoes on, I've done wagon rides the past 2 weekends in order to help get the girls back in wagon shape.  The first was around 5 miles and had an empty wagon.  The girls barely broke a sweat.  The ride last weekend was 5 miles again, but this time we had a load of people.  I also trotted them a bit more to really work them.  Mission accomplished.  Amazing to me to watch the rust fall off them and see them get their mind back into wagon mode.  We'll be ready for this weekend.
Heading down the driveway

Out on the frontage road.

This is the entire rig (note the new white wheels). 


So here's what December is holding for the Green Teamster.
  • Dec 7th - Greenville Texas Christmas parade (at night)
    • I'm hosting the Park Street historical society.  We'll be advertising for our wagon rides this month.
  • Dec 8th - Park Street Wagon Rides - Greenville Texas
    • Same gig I've done the last 2 years.  Ride up and down historical park street, which is decorated in an impressive manner
  • Dec 14th - Park Street Wagon Rides
  • Dec 15th - Park Street wagon Rides
  • Dec 17th - Possible caroling ride for a church group
  • Dec 23rd - Wagon rides in Terrell
  • Dec 24th - Personal wagon rides for my friends and family

No comments:

Post a Comment