Tuesday, September 27, 2011

#9 Mower Update

Had to use penetrating oil to get the sickle bar to come down
Lifting assembly
Bottom part of sickle bar
Some of the parts I've removed.
tool box
 
Mower partly disassembled
Originally this part of the pitman was stuck on the pitman flywheel.
Lifting gear removed
 I did some work last night.  The next pictures show more of it's current state

I was able to get the pitman arm off
Mower with tongue



 I currently have it back together.  Pretty exciting.

After last night, I now have a tongue on it

 So here's what it needs.
  1. The wheels do not click when they roll backwards, instead, the entire axyl moves.  This is not good.  I need to pull the wheels and get the hubs un-stuck.  When a mower rolls backwards, there are some pawls in the hub that allow the wheel to spin backwards freely.  Only way to solve this is to pull the wheels.
  2. I will need an entirely new pitman arm.  The metal peices I have are pitted and worn so bad that I don't think I'll be able to salvage them.  10+ years of sitting in the dirt is not good to metal.
  3. I will need a new sickle bar and teeth.  The ones on it are worn out.
  4. PAINT!  I'm going to paint it back to it's original colors.
Not too shabby though.  It's been fun to work on it.  I'm going to enjoy using it.


IH #9 Mower Page

No comments:

Post a Comment