Saturday, October 8, 2011

Horse Rescue/Extraction Seminar

Today was an awesome day.  Today the saddle club I belong to (Easy Rider Saddle Club) put on a Large Animal Rescue/Extraction Seminar.  The loss of my horse Lily a year and a half ago was one of the reasons our saddle club decided to purchase the equipment needed to safely and efficiently extract a large animal from a sinkhole or quicksand.  There was a newspaper article on it, and it featured Lily's story.  (Click HERE to view the blog entry for this event).

This Ad was run in the Greenville Herald Banner on 9/30/2011

The clinic was taught by Brooke Vrany and David Beard of Days End Farm Horse Rescue in Lisbon, MD.  They are part of one of the biggest and well run large animal emergency rescue organizations in the country (well, I don't know that for sure, but I know they are at least the biggest and well run in MD).  :)

We had a classroom session, that basically covered 3 main topics;  Large Animal Rescue Equipment, Horse Physiology and Behavior, and the Emergency Rope Halter and Lead Line.  I sat like a sponge absorbing the information.  It was very well done, and the kind of information that leaves a horseman feeling that they understand just a little bit more about their horses.  I definitely learned some things that made me see ways to improve my own training and every day handling of horses.

The second half of the day was spent at Cedar Creek Run (Thank you Connie for letting us come over!!).  We did a more "hands on" afternoon.  My horse Buck (Lily's son) was used as our practice horse.  I took Rachael as well, just in case they needed a horse that would not care at all where it was touched.  I'm still learning Buck's personality, so I brought Rachael as a backup.  However, Buck was amazing, and we didn't even use Rachael.

David Beard and Brooke Vrany, using Buck to explain some things about horse physiology

To start off, David took Buck to the side and sacked him out (worked him and made sure he was desensitized to ropes and was going to behave well for the demo).  David is an AMAZING trainer.  I'm sure Brooke was saying something important, but my eyes were focused on David and Buck.  It's like watching a master carpenter work with wood, or an artist work magic with paint.  I watched as Buck learned and reacted to David.  It was soooo cool.  In no time, Buck was responding to the simplest of pressure from David, and he wasn't spooking much at all.  In what seemed like 15 minutes, David had buck moving his feet with no or very little pressure even on the halter.  he would move his body and hands, and Buck would respond.  I hope to be like that someday.
David and Brooke

Brooke showing us more about horse physiology

Brooke did some hands on stuff with Buck to show us more about horse physiology, and things that need to be considered when the need to move a downed horse should arise.  Brooke is sharp and really has a great command at this subject.

Up next was one of the neatest things I've learned in a while.  David and Brooke showed us how to use a single piece of rope to tie and emergency rope halter.  I could not believe how simple it was.  It worked so good.  That went right into this old noggin of mine, and you can bet I'll pull that trick out when I can.
Brooke showing how to tie an emergency halter from a single piece of rope

After that, Brooke amazed us with showing us how to use a single rope and tie a rope sling on Buck.  A rope sling can be done very easily, and is great for simple and short lifts.  All you need is a long piece of rope.  It was very cool.  After that, we fit Buck with the new sling that the saddle club purchased.  We got some pictures of it.  Buck filled it out well.  :)

Buck modeling our rescue sling

Anne Sides and Brooke putting the sling together on the ground.  Me and Buck in the back ground.

One of the highlights for me was talking with David afterwards. I felt like I was trying to absorb as much information as I could. I asked him all about how he worked Buck, and some of his philosophies. I really really like his training style. I mentioned how I was struggling a little with Buck getting him in the trailer. He volunteered to show me how he does it after the clinic was over. All I can say is ... WOW! In 10 minutes, he had Buck self loading. David would walk to the back of the trailer, toss the lead rope over his back, and up and in Buck went. I was completely impressed!


We even got to eat dinner with David and Brooke tonight.  It was so fun.  I really like them and am so glad I got the chance to meet them.  I plan on staying in touch with them both.

 After I got home, I let the horses out, and decided to give them some feed before I let them back in with the herd.  They definitely earned it.  I let them just stand there with their lead ropes and enjoy a meal.  I'm sure it was nice to not have Nellie or Rosie pushing them off the food.
Buck and Rachael after a long day
Buck

Rachael
 Here's a funny shot I took during feedtime.  Something has my horses acting very wierd lately.  They are sharing feed.  I happened to catch this picture to prove it happens.
Rita and Pam, sharing a feed bucket.  Whinny cleaning up some scraps.

Also,  here's a picture I took a few days ago.  Is it possible to get 5 mares and a filly to share a bale of hay?  Not usually ... but I guess when the stars line up just right, anything can happen.  I managed to snap this picture to prove it happens.  :)

5 mares and a little lady, all sharing the same bale of hay.  I draw some funny images in my head when I think of what they might be talking about.  You may notice that Buck is NOT welcome to eat with them.  :)


Maybe this drought we are going through is making my horses be friends or something.  I've never seen them so passive towards each other.  It's almost as if the family is all getting along.  Crazy!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment