Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wagon rides for a "Prom" dance

I've been a busy guy as of late, and I'm running a bit late on keeping the blog updated.  I'll try to stay on top of things better.

Back on April 8th I got to do some wagon rides for my church.  The 16 - 18 year old youth were having a fancy "prom" dance.  My wife was involved in it, so I'm sure you can imagine who got invited to give fancy wagon rides to the kids.

I was able to borrow a nice white vis-a-vis from my good pal Roger Barnes (Old Time Transport).  A big thank you to Rog for that!  Due to me being extra busy, I wasn't able to work Rachael at all before the rides.  It was okay though, because Rachael doesn't require it.  She's the kind of horse that you can pull straight out of pasture after a few months off and she's good to go.

The rides were taking place in a quiet and quaint neighborhood.  It was quiet and very nice.  I got Rachael all brushed out, bridle path clipped, and even used some show shine on her.  She was glistening and looked fabulous.  I also got her hitched up in her new Biothane harness.  I love those things!!!  They look sooo good.  The pic should show this nicely.
Here's Rachael before I hitched her up

The rides were uneventful and lots of fun.  The kids were awestruck, and Rachael did fabulous.  We had lots of people looking out windows and complimenting me on the rig.
Test Run.  My boy Riley and another boy got to go.

2 couples going for their ride.  My son accompanied me for all the rides.

At the end of the event the photographer, Cheryl Richard, wanted to use the carriage and horse as a back drop for a group picture.  When you have a laid back and awesome horse like Rachael, that is not a problem.  We pulled up where the photographer wanted us and sat for 10 minutes while pictures got taken.  It was great.
Me, my boy, a lovely carriage, and the best hitch horse around.

This is me sitting while pictures were taken.


Now, to get us there, my wife pulled the vis-a-vis behind her vehicle and I pulled the horse trailer.  My wife had to take the kids to the dance though, so I was on my own to get the stuff home.  This is where my redneck super-rig comes in handy.  I added a receiver hitch to the back of the stock trailer, so I just hauled the 16 foot flatbed trailer behind the stock trailer.  My old blue diesel truck pulled it, but would only get to 55 MPH doing it (while I watched the gas tank drop).  :)
The redneck "super-rig".  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment