Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A quick joining up attempt

Nellie has been really showing affection towards Whinny the past few days.  Nellie doesn't stray far from the fence.  Who would have thought my big bad lead mare would be such a softie.  I snapped this picture this morning as I left for work.  Just a small difference between the two horses ... right?  :)
Whinny and Nellie

Today after work, I had 30 minutes or so till I had to go to baseball practice with my boy.  I went out and walked with Whinny (the yearling filly).  I told myself that I wasn't going to start the "joining up" method I just learned about, cuz I didn't have a whole lot of time.  Well ... I couldn't help myself.  :)

I started just as the video says.  I made her run away from me.  The second she would slow to a trot, I would raise my arms and shoe her on.  I did this for a minute or two (and when you're timing this stuff ... that is a LONG time!)  :)  I then worked her the other direction, for the same amount of time.  After this, I slowed my walk down to very slow walk, and I walked directly towards her shoulder while I looked her in the eye.  This gave her just enough pressure to keep her walking away.  If she stopped, I raised my arms to keep her moving.  I kept doing this till I saw some of the signs Marty talked about.  after a few minutes, she started turning her inside ear towards me.  A few seconds later, she did drop her head a few times as she walked.  She was very relaxed.  I then stopped walking like that at her. 

I was about 10 feet away from her, and I turned my back to her.  I kept her at a 45 degree angle behind me.  She stood there, and took a step towards me.  I was hoping for more (like in the video clip), but she just stood there.  I waited and waited, but she wouldn't take another step.  I didn't look in her eyes and I stuck my arm backwards toward her.  She then lowered her head and began to sniff towards it.  This ended with me touching her nose.  She then did this again, and I was able to give the side of her head a small rub.  I then took a step or two backwards.  She didn't move, and I rubbed her neck.  She stood there great.  Next thing I knew, I was rubbing all over her face.  It worked!  I grabbed the halter on her, and then rubbed all over her face and neck.  She stood there very nice for it.  I was just excited that she was letting me rub on her! 

I wasn't able to get her to follow me around, because I had to leave soon after that.  It's a great starting point though.  I'm very satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment