Monday, April 19, 2010

Quick Update

Things have been busy for the green teamster these days!  It's been awhile, so I figured I'd better do a quick update.

Had an awesome Easter wagon ride with my friends.  They were so captivated by it, that they wanted to go again.  This, to me, is the ultimate compliment.  I love it when other people find the enjoyment that I do from a wagon ride.  One of the things I enjoy the most is when my wife goes with me, and she sits up front with me.  I know that horses are NOT her thing, so when she participates, it's really cool.

My harnesses are in the same state as before.  I just need to finish scrubbing the speiders and tugs and I'll be done with the majority of the harnesses.  I need to buy some new yoke clips and hardware for the breast straps.  After I get that done, I'll just have to buy myself a yoke and a double-tree and I'll be set to have the horses drag stuff around.

Now for the mares.  They are ... well ... being mares.  I took Pam to be bred over at the Double M Warhorse Ranch in Terrell Texas.  (http://www.doublemwarhorseranch.com/)  Mark and Bev are good friends of mine, and I really like their stallion Vegas (see the website).  When I arrived with Pam, it turns out that Pam was ready to go.  I got to witness a pasture breed for the first time.  This really reaffirmed to me that I do not want to own a stallion.  Once those hormones get control, they are a bit crazy!  Vegas is a gentleman though, and was very nice and gentle, and even took her out for a nice bit of hay afterwards.  ;)

I was out of town all last week, and since I got back, the mares have let me know that they missed me.  When working with Pam, I tried lifting her rear hoof to clean it out.  She decided to be a butt, and flat out kick at me.  I tried over and over with the same results and I ended up leaving her tied for a few hours.  Then I went out and brushed her and turned her out.  Sometimes it's hard to remember that these are not reasoning animals.  I left her tied because I found myself getting angry, and I did not want to react poorly and do something I'd regret.  The next day at meal time, Rachel let me know she missed me by trying to kick me as I walked around her after feeding time.  Really?  Rachel?  We've been doing this for over a month now, same routine every day, and now she does this?  Needless to say, she went without food because I am the boss.  Quite a welcome back from those mares!  (sadly, I love mares, because of the dynamics like this in their moods.  To borrow a quote ... mares are like a box of chocolates ...)  :)

That's it for now.  As I get more done, I'll be sure to post about it.

5 comments:

  1. LOL - Can't live with them, can't live without them? Maybe its time to get the old soft rope out and just hold up her hoof for a while. I can't wait to see what you get that harness looking like! .. O, question for you .. I see in that top picture of Lily you have the single horse attachment WITH the crucial belly band. Would you mind measuring that length from shaft holder, below belly , to other shaft holder? thanks, so much . Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad part is ... the second few times were with the rope. Grrrrrrrrr.

    From bottom of shaft holder to bottom of shaft holder I measure 42" on the setting I use for Rachel. The billets on my shaft loops extend down 13.5". And the band between them measures 23.5" from buckle to buckle. Do your shaft loops have billets that extend down? If not, I'm sure you could just get a back saddle band with 2 billets on each side and make a belly strap pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE: My vet friend came over tonight, and he had a suggestion on why Pam was being a butt with her rear feet. He mentioned that since she just got back from being bred, she might be sore. I didn't even think of that. That may explain it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, thats a great idea and it might work! . Good luck with the foot. Just keep on trying. When I first got Bob he had NEVER even been trimmed. Now he is easy, peasy. Just takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bringing in a new horse (Rachel) can cause herd dynamics to change. They may be testing to see if you are still the boss.

    When my driving pony (stallion)acts up I make him back up, move his front end, move his back end and just generally boss him and make him move and work and do as I say till his expression softens, he starts licking and then submits to what I want him to do.

    He doesn't kick, but did rear and bite when I got him-I smacked him with the lead and did those "I'm gonna tell you how to move and where to put your feet because I'm the boss" exersizes and he stopped rearing and biting quickly. I don't beat my horses but a kick, rear or bite is unacceptable and the alpha mare would discipline alot stronger than a lead smack.

    This works for my guy, but go with your gut instinct on how to approach this problem with your mares and what you are comfortable with. I bet your friends with the belgian stallion would have some excellent tips.
    Heather in PA

    ReplyDelete