Sunday, April 4, 2010

Horse Grooming




So this afternoon I tried something when grooming the horses and am VERY impressed.  Right now the horses are losing their winter coats, so it takes a lot of brushing.  Well due to my wife being a vet tech, we own 2 brushes for dogs called "The furminator".  These are expensive (35 bucks), and we love them for our dogs.  Our Great pyranees has such thick fur, and this brush works well.  I am aware that they have a furminator for horses.  It's the same as the dog one, only a bit wider.  Well the wife and I thought we would brush the horses and see how they look after the furminator was done with them.

Wow!  I now have enough hair to be considered carpet outside, and the horses look great.  I was really pleased with the results.  This brush did an excellent job.  You have to be light when using it, and not push it in hard because of how sharp the metal edges are.  It just removes all that winter coat.  Way awesome!  I'm not so sure it will work well on just a summer coat, but it worked amazing for helping shed that winter coat.  Attached are 2 pictures of the girls.  Both were done.  Rachel still has the halter on cuz tonight she's taking us on an Easter Wagon Ride!

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea of using the furminator. Can't wait to try it. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should note that dirt causes the furminator to become dull. It's a good idea to curry comb first, to keep your furminator in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't that Furminator-thingy have a blade in it? I'm wondering if it removes dead coat, or cuts it short. I know for certain the dang things are Expensive!

    B in Lee

    ReplyDelete