Saturday, February 27, 2010

What a day!!!

Today was a wonderful day!

I started off by working with Pam.  The Weather was in the 40s, and it was sunny.  After our daily brushing, and working her feet, I decided that I would put the saddle on Pam and see how she did.  At first she was apprehensive at the blanket (thinking that it was obviously a horse-eating monster of some kind) but a slow hand and patience with her had her not afraid in no time.  The same thing happened with the saddle, but before she knew it, she had a girth tight around her belly, and the bridle on.  I walked her around a bit so she could feel this tight girth and get used to it.  She had no problems with it.

Pam was much more aware of her surroundings today than when I drive her in harness, and I attributed this to the fact that this was a normal bridle, without blinders.  To help calm her, I ground drove her with this saddle and bridle.  She did pretty well and was following command in no time.

I then tied her, and spent a few minutes climbing in and out of the saddle on both sides.  Pam had no problem with this, and stayed perfectly still while I was swinging up and down.

So next I had Riley (my son) hop in the saddle, and I lead him around.  He had a blast and next thing I knew, a half hour had passed of me just walking Pam around.  Riley is a real talker, and time always seems to pass fast when he is out with me.

Pam was doing so well, that I talked Riley out of the saddle, so that I could try Pam for the first time myself.  Riley was on standby just in case he needed to run and get mom in case something bad happened.

And then it happened.  I unsnapped the lead rope, gave a steady "woah" and hopped up in the saddle.  Pam stayed still just fine, and let me get both feet in the stirrups properly.  Next, with the reins in my hands, I gave her the command.  It took some coaxing, to get her to respond, but she slowly did, and seemed to love the praise she received after doing what I wanted.

It was awesome riding her!  She is MUCH wider than Lily, and a few inches higher.  She was very calm, and at no point was I ever scared that she was going to do anything I didn't want.  It was incredible.

To top that off, after I got off her, I lifted her feet and cleaned them out.  She let me do this to all 4 feet, something that she has not allowed up to this point. 

Woo Hoo!  It was awesome!  Pam is coming along nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment