Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The GreenTeamster meets the WagonTeamster

When I first began working Lily, I was introduced to a blog by Bob Skelding (www.wagonteamster.com).  It is an awesome read for anyone who likes the thought of paying less attention to the physical things in life, and paying more attention to the people and beauty this country of ours has to offer.  To summarize, Bob left everything behind, and is traveling around the country with his 3 draft horses (2 belgians, Bill and Bob, and percheron, Doc), and a great friend Denise.

When I first started reading about Bob and his travels, it really motivated me to work Lily.  Bob is a wonderful writer, and through his words, I was inspired to get my horse hitch ready, and start pulling wagons.

Well it just so happens that Bob is in North East Texas.  I couldn't let a hero of mine swing within an hour of me and not say hello, so I called my friend Pat, and together we went out in search of the WagonTeamster.  Due to the horrendous internet signals in north east Texas, we had to put on our Sherlock Holmes hats to find him.  I think I called every feed store, gas station, and other store in Gilmer to see if they'd seen him.  The negative responses told me that was where he would be today.  Off we headed to Gilmer, TX.  Luckily, Bob does not have any diapers on his horses, so once we found the horse apples (and made a call to my wife to get details from his newly updated blog) we were able to track him down.

We crested a hill, and caught a glimpse of a flashing yellow light, and a very handsome belgian gelding trailing a wagon (Yes B.O.B., I'm talking about you).  SUCCESS!!  When traffic slowed down a bit, we pulled up along side the wagon and informed Bob and Denise that we came bearing gifts.  Pat (who cuts hay) had a few bales of some choice Texas hay.  We aggreed to stop at the top of the incline we were on.  Pat and I got in front of the wagon, and rode up till we found a spot where the wagon could ease off the shoulder a bit.

It was awesome to meet Bob.  I've seen plenty of pictures from reading his blog for so long.  Meeting him face to face was great.  We exhanged pleasantries, and then decided to get the hay we brought onto the wagon.  Because of the limited storage Bob had, we had to practically unload his trailer, and then stack the hay in.  We also let the boys sample the hay.  Doc and Bill informed me that it was DELICIOUS!!

We got the hay loaded, and then posed for a few pictures with Doc and Bill (the percheron and belgian that Bob was using for today).  After that Denise offered to drive Pats truck, and let Pat and I ride in the wagon with Bob for a while.  I felt like a little kid at christmas.  How could I say no to such an offer.

We loaded in the wagon, and off we went.

It was so awesome to watch Bob work the team.  If you've ever seen a true craftsman working in his element, that is what this was like.  Doc and Bill were synced up nice, and down the road we went.

I found Bob to be one of the most pleasant people I've met in a while, and Denise as well.  I found that life at 3 MPH is wonderful!!

With Pat and I sitting with Bob, almost all the conversation was related to hitches and horses.  I have one year under my belt, and Pat has 7, so we had LOTS of questions.  It was a wonderful ride and I learned a whole lot.  I think Bob has more horse knowledge in his pinky finger than I do in my entire brain.

It was great to head slowly down the road, chatting away, and learning at the same time.  Bob was so laid back and at ease, you wouldn't have thought he was driving the horses at all.  Truly a master of his art!

I have no idea how long we actually rode with him.  I joked with Pat that it was a good thing I didn't bring a sleeping bag or I might have tried to go along for good.  That would get me in the doghouse with the wifey though, so I guess it was all for the best!  :)

Thanks so much for having us Bob.  You and Denise were wonderful.  It was great to spend a short amount of time with you.  I hope to stay in touch.  Maybe when I get my team I can join you in another of your adventures.

Anyone who has not read Bob's blog, I encourage you to do so. www.wagonteamster.com

2 comments:

  1. Tim, I'm so happy you were able to find Bob! How awesome. but aren't those 2 new horses Belgians ? :-) Its fun seeing this from the visitors point of view instead of Bob's !

    Claire in mid-mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you had the privilege to ride with Bob and learn about horses. I have been following his trips since he started, and look forward to his daily blogs. I have enjoyed your blogs and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experiences with draft horses. We can live through you, even tho we aren't on the farm anymore. Keep up the good work.
    Margie, from Florida

    ReplyDelete