Thursday, June 28, 2012

Got a horse drawn disc

I have slowly been sanding down and painting the parts of the IH #9 mower.  I currently have the pitman arm ready to go, many of the sickle bar parts ready, and one wheel sanded down and ready to be washed and painted.

Today I added another implement to my arsenal.   One of my neighbors who has quite a collection of old rusty stuff on his land, put an old horse drawn disc up in front of his field, right next to the fence.  I think he put it up there just for me.  I have ridden past on my wagon many times, and so I think he knew that if he put it up next to the fence, I'd come calling. 

My new disc.

Not too shabby!


I bought it from him for the price of 75 dollars.  Not too shabby.  It's not in bad shape.  It is missing the truck assembly and pole stuff, but I think I can get away without needing it.  I have a forecart, and I'm thinking that I'll just hook this up to the back of the forecart.

This disc is unlike the disc I borrowed from Pat.  It only has two levers, that adjust the horizontal angle of the disc (adjust the amount of drag the disc creates).  Pat's also had levers on the side that adjusted the vertical pitch of each side of the disc.  It has the newer grease zerts, instead of the old grease holders.

I'm pretty excited!  Can't believe this was sitting so close to me.

1 comment:

  1. That looks just like the old 'New Idea' disc that I had, except mine had notched disc's. I just used a pressure treated 4x4 for a pole and used a U-bolt to attach the neck yoke. It worked great. It drafted about as hard as a 10" bottom plow (not too bad). Enjoy it mine was still working fine after using it for 8 years. Bob

    ReplyDelete