Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hauling a wagon and horses with one truck

Tonight was my last night for wagon rides.  It was great.  We were super busy, and the girls definitely earned their oats tonight.  We did 6 trips tonight, which means the girls did over 7 miles of riding, with at least 10 people in the wagon per ride.  They did awesome and I am so proud of them.  Lots of people were loving on them!

So, tonight I didn't have my normal helpers with me.  Jacob went out of town today, and my wife was busy.  I was a one man show.  I'm used to doing things on my own, because at home it's how I have to do everything.  This time things were a bit different though.  I had to get my wagon home from the rides, as well as the horses, and I'd prefer to do it in one trip.  Good thing I had a hitch added to my trailer.



This first picture is of my setup.  Good ol' blue up front, running as well as ever;  the 16 foot gooseneck horse trailer next; followed by a 16 foot flat bed trailer to haul the wagon home.  I was actually able to go 60 MPH with this rig and it was really stable.  I'm sure I burned up a whole lot of diesel though. 



This second picture is of everything loaded up and heading home for the night.  Note that I even have lights on the 2nd trailer.  I centered the wagon weight over the axles on the 2nd trailer, and it would start to move around a bit at 45MPH, so I just took the service roads and kept it at a low speed.

SUCCESS!  I was able to haul both the horses and the wagon by myself, without inconveniencing anyone else.  I'm feeling pretty proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment