Sunday, December 5, 2010

Greenville Christmas Parade 2010

Friday night was the G-ville Christmas parade, and boy was it awesome.  I'm still in awe at how well it went.  I've found in life that it seems like very few things actually happen like you plan them.  When they do, it's definitely a time for celebration.  All my work this year, getting the girls ready, paid off big time on Friday night.

I arrived at the parade route right as the sun was setting.  I was one of the first there, and it was nice to get the trailer backed in before the sun went down.  I then unloaded the girls, and tied them to the trailer.  Then the beautification started.  I had a few hours to kill before we needed to get going, so I took my time and brushed each horse very thoroughly.  I also put a little show sheen in their manes and tails to really make all that flaxen hair look pretty.

Following that, on went the harnesses.  It was after dark, and I had forgotten my flashlight, so it was kind of interesting doing it by light of the lights inside the trailer.  It's a good thing I am very familiar with each setting on the harnesses.  I had no problem getting things set where they needed to be.

In hitching, with regards to bridles, I make it a point to only put on bridles when I have to.  I know lots of people just always put them on and leave them on the entire time the horse is hitched.  I guess I view it as an extension of my arm and hands.  For me, it is used for input to the horse, to tell it what I want done.  While a horse is tied, with nothing to do, I leave them off since I obviously don't want them to do anything.  I know the horses feel more comfortable with this, and due to horses being predatory animals, they are a little more at ease being able to see all around.  Just my 2 pennies on that.

I also put out the hay bags and the horses sat there, all pretty, happily munching on hay.

My wife showed up with the wagon, and I helped get that all set up with the team pole and everything.  At this point, I saw what turned out to be the only other wagon in the parade.  A guy had a great looking set of sorrell mules that were matched well.  These mules were pulling a small, 4 rubber wheeled wagon.  This wagon was then hitched to a grain cart that had been modified as a people mover with benches on the inside.  It was a real long hitch, and the mules definitely had their work cut out for them.

Within the hour, the staff of Turtle Creek Veterinary Medical Center had showed up.  We had lots of happy kids all dressed up, and employee's with their dogs.  The wagon was definitely bustling with activity at this point.

The wagon full of Turtle Creek Veterinary Medical Center staff, family, and dogs
My gorgeous wife and our Great Pyrenees.


I got the bridles on the girls, and did a few laps ground driving with them and then tried to back the girls up to the wagon.  Due to the hustle and bustle on the wagon (kids and lights everywhere), the girls refused to back up.  Instead, they would each turn in, and kick their rear ends out away from each other.  They flat out refused to back up even after the 3rd try.  This meant we had to pull the wagon up to the horses, which wasn't a problem.

Rachael and Pam, with me on the lines

After that, we walked the horses to our waiting spot ... and waited.  One thing you do a lot of in parades, is waiting.  I had my header, Jacob with me at this point, and I had planned on him standing holding Pam's lead rope.  I had anticipated that Pam might need a little help behaving while standing.  He stood next to me, and we sat there, just waiting.  I was in awe at how relaxed the horses were.  They didn't seem to care about any of the stuff around them.  They were calm, and not antsy to get moving or anything.  This really surprised me.  Especially when this "laid back" attitude continued after the parade started getting under way.  The flashing lights of police and emergency vehicles, the loud christmas songs playing, the loud cars, 4-wheelers, and tractors all did nothing to alarm the horses.  I was truly surprised by this.  (AND VERY PROUD!!)

Waiting to get the okay to go.

Rachael on my right, Pam on my left.  So proud of them!!


Once all the motorized floats had gone, it was time for the horses.  We made our way down the road and it was smooth sailing.  The girls didn't step a single foot out of place.  It was easy driving, and I was grinning ear to ear.  This was fun driving.  The stress levels were as low as could be for this kind of situation, and it truly was a delight driving them.  I love watching the kids, gaze at these horses and just smile.  On a side note ... I only heard 2 people yell how nice my "clydesdales" are.  LOL.  When I hear this now, I just smile and appreciate their well meant compliments.  :)  I did hear one guy yell how nice my Belgians were.  I definitely gave him a "Thank You" and a wave.

Me and Jacob

After the parade, we unhitched, loaded up, and got on down the road without any problems.  Once again, this was truly an amazing night.  No problems at all, and lots of good/fun times.  This is what it's all about.  Like I said in the beginning of this post, it's so awesome to see your plans work out.  For the past 6 months, all the work I've been doing, was to solidify my team into a safe team that I could use for public use.  The girls showed me in this parade that they can be trusted to listen to me in adverse situations.

The next two weekends I will be giving wagon rides at Park Street in Greenville Texas on Friday and Saturday nights.  If anyone is in the area and would like a nice hay ride, come on by.  We'll glady haul you down the road and I'll probably talk your ear off while we do.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Tim, a couple of years ago we did the Christmas parade in Jefferson city, MO . We were the ONLY horse drawn wagon.. and only about 5 other mounted horses in the parade. I especially remember one young boy who asked his dad , 'Are those real live horses?' .
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! It's kind of sad that these days, there are so many city kids who have only seen a real horse on the TV. It's great to be there when their eyes get big and they see them for the first time. I love love love watching kids react with horses.

    ReplyDelete