Saturday, November 27, 2010

Getting ready for the Christmas season

Well ... it's been a while, so I figured I would give an update on how things are going at my place.

The biggest thing of note, would be Pam's feet.  I have learned that 10 miles on a horse with good barefoot hooves is too much.  For a few days after my last 10 mile trip, Pam acted really sore on her front feet.  I think by the end of that trip, I had bruised her frogs on the front.  She was very very tender for a week after the ride, and at one point, she was walking with noticeable pain in every step.  Add to that, that my water line decided to leak near their pen, so they are walking in mud frequently.  I have had to be vigilent with keeping feet clean to keep thrush from happening.

I had a farrier come out 2 days ago for a trim on Pam and my 30+ year old Quarter Horse.  Ummmm ... yeah.  It's pretty apparent when someone has no clue how to work with draft horses.  He did an A+ job on the quarter horse, but when he turned his attention to Pam, he acted shy and timid.  Pam picked up this right away and gave him hell.  I ended up having to help him hold her rear feet up with the use of a rope.  He almost left without finishing the job.  I don't think I'll have him back out.  Finding a farrier who is willing to do drafts is turning out to be quite a task.

Rachel's feet are doing awesome.  The shoes are doing exactly what I wanted.  They have stayed on very good, and her hooves are looking great.  She's had them for 6 weeks now, and soon I'll need to get her re-shod.  Guess I better start searching for a farrier to do that too.  ;)

Christmas season is on me, and that means I've been really busy getting ready for the Greenville Christmas parade.  I am very happy with my team, and think they are going to do very well.  The wagon I am pulling in the parade is a big 7' by 16' hay wagon.  My friend Pat is letting me borrow this wagon.  I brought it home yesterday, and went to work tigthtening up all nuts/bolts/screws/nails.  This wagon has been sitting in a field for a bit, so I snugged everything up nice.  The team pole that came with it was 8 1/2 feet long.  I knew just from looking at it at home, that it was too short to work with a draft.

Today was my day to try the team with the wagon.  I hitched them up, and saw that my fears were true.  The team pole was too short.  What this means, is that when the horses were walking forward, the yoke was pulling back on the front of them, and when I was stopping, the tree's were right up on their legs.  Pam did not like this too much, and got a little prancy with her feet.

Now I had a job to do.  I needed a longer team pole.  I thought of what I could do, and decided to see if my team pole from my wagon might by chance happen to fit.  By looking at it, it looked like it would put the horses 3 foot further in front of the wagon then I wanted, but it seemed like it was my only option.  I started to hook it up, and to my surprise, my entire team pole slid right inside the square tubing on the wagon.  Awesome!  I just drilled a hole in it, so that I could secure it properly, and hitched up the girls.  Away we went, on a short mile ride just to make sure they were fine with the noises and weight of this new hay wagon.  It went great.  I was on the freeway service road for 100 or so feet, and someone pulled over and was taking pictures of me and my son with a really nice (big) camera.  We smiled and waved and felt like celebrities.  :)

It looks like we're ready to go.  Next friday night will be the Greenville night parade, and the two weekends after that, I will be doing wagon rides on Park Street in Greenville. 

After seeing what the road did to Pams feet, I have decided to order some boots for her.  I am going to get some just for the front feet.  I am actively searching right now.  Pam's front feet measure ~8" x 8".  I'm having trouble finding a boot that will even fit.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Tim,
    We have Epic Easy boots for our draft. He takes a size six. They go up to size 7. This was the only boot we could find in draft sizes. They come with and without gators. We use them for trail riding our draft and I use them for driving my mini on the road. They work very well. Go to their website and print out a template that they have for sizes. You can download it and print it out and have her step on a piece of paper and draw a line around her hoof. Then match the paper to the template to see which size suits her best. If they are slightly loose you can put inserts inside to raise the hoof in the boot to make the foot more snug. These have been a lifesaver for us.

    www.easycareinc.com/Our_Boots/easyboot_epics/Easyboot_Epic.aspx

    Good Luck,
    Heather in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I was looking at those and the boa's, but I measured Pam at 8", and the biggest size of those easy care boots is 7 9/16". I found a boot called "Hoofwings" and it seems to be big enough. A pair of them would cost what it would cost me to put shoes on all 4 feet. I may have to bite on this and give them a try.

    ReplyDelete