Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Transformation is happening

My oat/wheat seed is on the ground in the pasture, I just need to disk it in now.  So today I got home at 3PM, and I figured I'd be able to get my small field done before I had to go to Riley's football practice.  I ended up doing that and then some.  Right as I started disking, a cold front came through, making it nice and cool.  Then, as I got the last harness off, it started sprinkling.  Can't have better timing than that.  :) 

I'm seeing a change in things between me and the horses with all this farm work, and I figured I'd post some of the things I'm seeing now that I'm hitching and working them every other day for the past week.

#1 - Willingness to work.  After a good work out, the girls used to be very skittish the next day, meaning, the next day if you walked towards them with a halter, they'd say "like hell we're doing anything today" and they would do the slow walk away from you type thing.  Ever since I've been working them in the field, this has stopped.  It's really surprised me.  They are way laid back about everything now, and have a laid back "OK, whatever" type attitude.  It's awesome!!!

#2 - Time till we're ready to work.  I'm getting fast!  Today I looked at my watch when I haltered the girls.  I then looked again when the last bridle was on.  18 minutes.  18 minutes to harness 2 horses.  The speed in which I can do this, helps me spend less time out in the field, and more time washing/brushing at the end (which, by the way, they love!)

#3 - Get the work done attitude.  The girls have developed a no nonsense attitude when we're working.  They step out right away, and go till I tell them to stop.  They are also getting really good at walking in straight lines.  This seems like nothing to a normal person, but once you start driving, you realize how  awesome it is to have a horse that will walk a straight line without any input.  Rachel has also figured out my patterns.  When we reach the end of the row, she just starts turning, following the line of freshly turned ground on her side.  They also enjoy their breaks.  "Whoa" has become a welcome treat to be savored and enjoyed, not an annoyance till they start moving again.  It's awesome!!!

#4 - Voice response.  The girls are getting much better at responding to my voice commands without any input on the lines.  It's really really neat to watch them just start turning left when I say the word Gee.  Same for Haw.

I'm watching all these things happen and it's awesome.  I know this is a common knowledge type thing.  If you spend time with your horse, working your horse, you will see improvements like this.  Every horse person knows this and says this.  But how many have actually done it?  Life has a way of getting busy, and keeping us from getting to our horses, but I tell ya, the difference it is making in my girls is awesome.

I have my big field left to disk again, then I'm done with the hard work.  Hopefully I can finish that up Thursday night.

I'm on cloud nine right now.  The only thing I'm not liking, is how dirty the harness is getting.  ;)  Gonna have to saddle soap the harness again soon.  I tell ya ... the feeling of accomplishment I'm feeling is tremendous.  I've done my goal.  I've improved my fields, using my horses.  Makes me even more excited to get a sickle mower and rake, and use them to hay the field. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite impressed with the passion that you exercise with your "girls" whether it be plowing the land or pulling a wagon. You always wanted a draft horse, and now you have the blessing of living in a place where you can cultivate that passion. I enjoyed your presentation about driving a horse, but mostly I enjoyed your enthusiasm. Your "girls" have flourished under your care and tending, and they in turn have tended you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jan. I absolutely LOVE this stuff. Having a great time and absorbing all I learn like a sponge. The horses indeed take care of me. Rachel is getting sweeter to me every time I work her. She'll never take Lily's place, but she's getting close. :)

    ReplyDelete