Monday, September 20, 2010

Rachel = Owl Ridge Rachael; a nice trail ride

Last friday I got something awesome in the mail.  A previous owner of Rachael, actually sent me all the info on her, including a copy of her papers.  It was awesome to get these papers and find out what her bloodlines are.

Another thing I learned is that she is a 1994 model.  That puts her at 16 years old, which is about 4 years older than I thought.  So good to know this information.  :)  I'm going to try to contact the people at Owl Ridge to let them know what a supurb mare they produced.

I took Rachael out for a trail ride yesterday with my son and sister-in-law, and it was great.  Rachael doesn't respond at all to heel pressure, but tell her to "step up" and she knows exactly what to do.  LOL.

Below are some pictures from the ride.

Here's Rachel.  Ready to ride.

My boy on his horse QH Duncan.


What a group of trail riders.  My boy, Me, the Featherstone's, and my SIL Ann.


After the trail ride, we got home and Ann wanted to try riding a big horse.  Rachel was great for her, and Ann was all smiles.


4 comments:

  1. Tim, have you found you need a breast collar on these big girls? I had a ride the other day and when getting off without the mounting block , we did a little circus trick. I'm now looking for a breast collar :-) Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have found that while using a breast coller a saddle can only rotate halfway around the horse even when you are stupid enough to try a wonderful new cinch with a quick realease button

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an Australian saddle, so a normal breast collar won't work. I've found that drafts are more round, and have less whithers, so it's very easy for the saddle to come around as you put your weight int he stirrup for that first step up. My solution, be quick about it, and have a well trained horse that stays put till you tell her to get up. :) One day I want to get a breast collar. When I do, I'll let you know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Jim!!! Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well for you.

    ReplyDelete