Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer update

It's HOT!  I really hate summer.  Not only is it way to hot to find any joy in being outside, but I feel bad working the girls because they're already sweating before I even attach a halter.  I find myself waiting for storm systems and trying to get a few minutes before the rain hits or after if its not muddy.  Needless to say ... the girls have been getting a break.

For Rachel this is a good thing.  I had the farrier out, and he cut away a lot of dead frog and dead hoof on her rear left hoof (the one that had the bad abscess a few months back).  he's really good at what he does, and had to trim her to get her weight to distribute onto parts of the hoof that aren't tender from that abscess.  I was pretty shocked when I saw how much of her hoof was dead and regrowing.  He told me that she needs to grow out and that until she does, I shouldn't work her hard.  He said pulling something light in dirt is okay, but do NOT take her on rocks or on the road.  So it looks like we get to play the waiting game for Rachel to grow out enough so that I can work her again.

Pam is busy being as sweet as ever.  Giving her a job has been an awesome thing for her.  I have found now more than ever that she comes right up to me when I call her, even if I'm holding the halter.  It's very nice.  We got some blood drawn today for a pregnancy test and so within a few days I'll know if next march we're expecting.  Very cool!

I've been slowly starting to prepare for the clinic next friday night.  I was expecting the clinic to be a small thing with a group of friends from the riding club, but it got advertised pretty well, including an article and picture in the company email news.  With free pizza and prizes, I'm thinking we may have a few more people than I thought.  I'm really looking forward to it though.  Most of my teamster friends here are going to be there, so it'll be kind of cool just to have us all meet up.  Pat, Jodi, Chuck, and Roger are all willing to help and have offered me any of their resources I need.  I'm very grateful to have such good friends.  I'm pretty sure that teamsters are a cut above the rest.  Most horse people I've met will gladly give you the shirt off their back; but a teamster will give you their shirt and a harness for your horse too.  :)  I am very blessed to have such good friends.

I ended up not doing the parade on July 4th.  Roger offered a horse and wagon to drive, but a local red dirt country band I play the drums for was playing a show up on Lake Texoma that night.  We ended up having a practice that day at noon, so I figured it was probably best if I didn't rush up and rush back.  In my experience, I've found that Horse + Rush = frustration and trouble.

I've been looking for bits online and all I can say is that the 3 slotted liverpool straight bit (for buckle lines) is a VERY popular bit and hard to find cheap.  I need one so that I'll have 2 and can use them on both the girls.  I've been scouring the web and can find them for 45+shipping.  I found them on ebay for 35, but by the time I clicked the buy button, they were already sold out.  Like I said ... popular bit!  I did buy one liverpool with the two round openings for snap or buckle lines.  That one will go on my nice looking single nylon harness, which makes sense since my single driving lines have a snap.  The slotted bits will go on the team harness.

That's about it for me.  Not much going on, just trying to beat the heat and get ready for the clinic next week.

I think I should take a moment and brag on my friend Pat's colt again.  I went over the other night to pick up some hay and give Pat a line drop I got for him as a present.  He had his mares and colts up and I got to see Ace again.  Wow is that little guy put together well.  He holds his head almost like a swan.  Head way up, and nose down a bit.  His shoulder line is awesome, and his feet and pasterns look awesome.  Pat is going to try to show him in the upcoming Oklahoma State Fair.  I'll probably see if I can't tag along for it.  Usually the weanling winners are born in January, so Ace has a 2 month disadvantage there, but Pat figures by the time he gets to the yearling shows, he'll have no problem holding his own.  He's beautiful to look at and really shows off the Belgian breed well.  Great job on a great colt Pat!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tim!, thanks for the update. I can relate to the heat.. Its HOT here in MO also, I hardly do horse stuff at all when its yucky like this. Before you plunk down $$ for a slotted liverpool, make sure your lines will fit thru the slots! I had this issue with my lines because the leather is doubled over right where it would go thru the slots. I can only use my Beta lines with the slotted.

    Sad news here, I found my wonderful mare Babe dead in the pasture Monday night. I have no idea what happened. Still trying to get over it.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man extreme condolences Claire my prayers are with you.
    we are moving to where i will live while meg is in college.
    i have never been able to look out my bedroom window and see my horses before.
    now if we can just epand the pasture faster than they can eat it.
    leethehorselogger is on the move again and has pics of his rebuilt wagon on facebook.
    as for me i think i hear a draft
    jimthehorsetraveler

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry Claire! I know how hard that is. You've got a bunch of fellow teamsters who have heavy hearts with you. That just sucks.

    As far as the bits, my lines buckle, so I have to slide the 3/4 inch line through, so the narrow slots is what I'm looking for. I bought one of the others (eggloop version) for my single harness since those lines have snap connectors.

    ReplyDelete