Friday, July 16, 2010

Driving Commands

So I am writing up some things to get ready for this clinic, and I compiled a list of all the commands I use.  I figured I would post it here, just so anyone else can see what I use.

Driving Commands


Step Up (may accompany with clicks) – move from stop to a walk.

Get Up – used in team driving to get one horse to step up and pull evenly with the other horse.

Trot Up (may accompany with kisses) – move from walk to a trot

Walk – move from trot to walk

Whoa – stop

Gee – turn right

Haw – turn left

Come Around – sidepass to the right or left

Back – back up

Easy – stand and be still; I also use this anytime I feel a horse is getting a bit anxious and needs to relax.



*NOTE – I always begin any driving command (except Easy) with the horse’s name. This lets my horse know that I am talking to it. This will help your horse not queue off any other person who might be saying those words. (Example: Rachel, Step Up; Rachel Gee; Rachel Whoa)

5 comments:

  1. I also use Whoa when working with my horse on the ground. I just use it to let them know where I am and ask them not to move. So , every time i move around behind them, I put a hand on their rump and say 'whoa' in an easy manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok ya got me on this one how do you teach a draft horse to sidepass.up till now we have just done enough walk and back to get the job done [im lucky lots of room to turn in my county]
    jimthehorsetraveler

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Thanks for putting this in writing! I got it down now and I am practicing so I can talk to Ben. He knows what he's doing now to teach me, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know much about working horses, but can you answer a question what might sound like common sense to the rest of your audience? Do teamsters generally apply names like "Harry" or "Handy" and place them on the Left, while "Genie" and "George" would be placed on the right? Not only is it a good way to remember who goes where, but it also reinforces the "right turn" "left turn" command. The faher of a friend of mine had two such horses, I asked if that is why they rec'd their names, and oddly the son never thought of that. His dad died in 1951 so we weren't able to solve the question. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Judith. I have never heard of that. When it comes to names, I read that many teamsters name their horses a one syllable name. This comes in handy because you speak to each horse individually a lot while driving, and one syllable name makes things easier. That being said, the funny thing about teamsters is that they do what they want with their horses. It is very possible that your theory is correct. The only other thought I have is that it would be really sad to name your horse Hank, only to find out that he refuses to work on the left side. When I have babies, I have no idea what the future team position will be. Thanks so much for the question.

      Delete