Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pam vs. the sled ... alone

We still have a storm systems swirling about, and for some weird reason, my house didn't get enough rain to make it muddy.  This was wonderful!  It meant that I could work the horses again!!  Hooray!

My son wanted to ride, so I saddled up his horse, and let him at it.  He's doing very well!  I think the highlight of watching him tonight was watching him back Duncan up.  He knew how to do it just from watching me.  It was very cool to watch him give the command and see Duncan follow his orders.  I sure am pleased with that kid!

My son on his horse.  He's doing awesome!


Tonight I decided to give Pam a little one on one time with me and ... (duhn duhn duhn) ... the sled.  She wasn't real keen on the idea of getting harnessed up while Rachel was all relaxed in the pen.  Those two were talking back and forth, and I could just tell that Rachel was giving Pam a hard time.  :)

Pam actually did well right out of the gate today.  I did one loop ground driving her to make sure all her wiggles were out, and they were.  She stood fine for me while I hooked up the single tree and the sled.  Then we were off.

We did a few laps around the area close to my house, then we went out around the pasture.  I found out something very interesting too.  Together, those horses can pull my little sled to hell and back without breaking a sweat.  However ... alone ... this sled is a great workout for them.  When we were nearing a third the way around the pasture, I could see Pam starting to walk slower and slower.  I chose to do a pre-emptive "whoa" before she stopped, that way it was my idea.  She gladly stopped, and I could see that she was really working.  She had a little bit of sweat around her collar, and her sides were moving good from breathing.  She wasn't blowing by any means, but she was definitely working out.

After a short break, I had her step out again and we made it the next third the way around the pasture.  I barely made this though.  She tried to stop many times and I just kept coaxing her along.  Pam was doing wonderful at listening and doing what I wanted.

The last third of the lap took the longest.  I took a break every 100 feet or so, and I also stood on the back of the sled, behind the seat, so that my weight would drag as little as possible.  This seemed to help her out a bit and I'm sure she appreciated it.

 I actually stepped away to snap a shot of the sled and horse together.  Pam was enjoying her breaks!


We only had one little trouble spot, and it was when we tried to get on the gravel driveway to cross through the gate closest to my house.  With Pam, when the sled is on the gravel, I have to constantly tell her it's okay.  I keep repeating "easy" to her, and she seemed able to make it through okay.  She gets really poppy on her feet while that noise is happening though.  Tonight, on the way back to the house, we were on the gravel and things seemed fine.  Then she got more poppy on her feet, and broke into a little trot.  I tried to pull her back, and she decided that rather than stop, she was getting off that loud gravel.  She made a right turn while trotting out and I finally got her to stop when the sled was well off the gravel.  Well ... I don't give up on that kind of stuff.  I gave her a small break and listened to my son laughing.  He was sitting on his horse, 50 feet away, just laughing at me.  He thought it was sooo funny that Pam trotted off the road.  What a kid!  LOL.  Once the break was over, I did a big loop and got on the gravel much sooner than the previous time.  This meant that we'd be on gravel for a longer amount of time.  This time, my words calmed her and she did just fine.

By the time we got back to the house and did a few more laps, that girl was pooped!  I unhooked the sled and drive her back to be tied so I could take her harness off.

OK ... so now I have a question that I need some input on.  Jim, Claire, or anyone else ... please let me know what you would do.  When I tied Pam up, she started getting real impatient about removing the bridle.  She just kept throwing her head down over and over again.  The over-check was still hooked up, so she could only go so far, but she was just being a turd about it.  My first thought was to keep it on her and let her stand for a while with it.  However, I had just completely worn her out and was very pleased with her progress.  What I did, was to walk over, make her stand completely still before I would unhook the over-check line and remove the bridle, and then removed the rest of the harness.  Was that the right thing to do?  I sure don't want to encourage her into thinking that throwing her head around gets it taken off.  On the other hand, I didn't want tonight's wonderful hitch training to be overshadowed by a standing lesson when she was plum worn out.  What would y'all do?

I sure hope this cold front stays around.  I'm really enjoying being able to make use of this summer daylight!

3 comments:

  1. whats an overcheck? i think i have a rough idea but am not sure.i use my halter as my bridle and most of my equipment is purpose made for my saddle/draft requirements.
    i let him put his head where he wants it when pulling.
    When im done pulling i try to always put a squirt of cheap hair conditioner in a 5 gal bucket then straight hot water then stir with a floor scrubbing brush to melt the conditioner.
    then straight cold to bring the temp down.
    I then use the water on the floor scrubbing brush to scrub/massage from jawline to tail and down to hoof while codys head is tied to a tree.

    he seems to like it and will often have to be woke up to go play
    so i guess my horse always gets a standing lesson.
    I am glad you made her obey before giveing her what she wanted.
    wait a minit QUESTION how can she throw her head anywhere if she is tied up? if you have more than a foot of rope between head and tree i think you might be making a mistake.
    I had 2-2 1/2 ft of slack one time and he sneezed and bent the bolt in the barn wall.
    Oh well gotta go hoof trimming today.
    SIDEBAR hoof trimming has progressd to useing a variable speed right angle sander with a padded piece under the velcro on sanding pad and fine grit paper. wow what a nice finished look and so easy.1 complaint the sander/polisher is way to big and bulky
    so im looking for something similer in smaller form.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim , I hear your dilemma . My harness has sidechecks, I like them better but I don't use them either! Think about it, you teach your horse to enjoy the 'stand' by letting them know that if they complain, they'll be moving out. I think you can use similar logic here. Don't let her get away with that again BUT, next time before you tie her up , maybe unclip the overcheck. Then just make her stand a while.
    this would be a great question to ask on ruralheritage.com
    I'm no expert! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she was objecting to the overcheck. If she does not drop her head to graze while working and she's not much of a kicker I would leave it off. My guy would rather graze and not pull, so an overcheck is necessary for him. I prefer to let them set their heads. You did exactly right by rewarding her by taking it off only when she stopped tossing her head. She is young and will settle with more miles. She is lucky to have a kind and patient teacher.
    Heather in PA

    ReplyDelete