Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Working Rosie: My first run-away

Last night I decided to work Rosie alone.  I decided that I was going to do some ground work with her, and go from there.

I started with just some basic desensitizing stuff (whipping the end of the long lead line all over her lightly).  She did perfect with this.  Then I flexed her neck a bit and she gave to me very easily.  I worked with her on disengaging her rear end, and she did well with that.  Then I lunged her.  She didn't know what I was doing, but she picked up quick on what I wanted.  I should note that I don't have a round pen, so when I lunge, it's out in the open.  I'm really REALLY going to appreciate a round pen when I get one.  ;)  But she did wonderful and I was impressed by how smart she was at figuring out what I wanted of her.  She moved well and I had her trotting around me in no time.  She also stopped very well for this too.  I did this for about 30 minutes (seemed like forever), and she did so well I figured that we'd do some harness work.

When I started leading Rosie to the spot where I tie them, I could feel her resisting.  She would stop, but give in to pressure on the lead line within a second.  I tied her, then I went and got Rachael, my best trained mare and brought her up.

I harnessed the horses, and Rosie actually stood very well for it.  I was impressed.  She wasn't trying to get away or anything.  Things were looking good.  I hooked them together with a yoke, and hooked their butts together, and had the lines on them.  All was going perfect.

We started ground driving next.  Going forward was great.  The first time I said whoa and stopped, Rosie threw it into reverse.  Rachael stayed put, and so Rosie couldn't get far.  It took me a good minute to get her to stand still though.  Once I got her to stop, I sat there, praising her, making sure she knew what Woah meant.  Then we stepped off again and she did perfectly.  We stopped again 100 feet later, and the same thing, but this time she only tried to go backwards for a few seconds before she stopped.  Progress!

We drove out 1/2 mile away from the house in the pasture, and by the time we got 1/2 mile away, she was stopping really well with Rachael.  I was grinning, and all was well.  This is what it's supposed to be like.

THEN ... we turned around to head back.  Rosie knows the pasture, and when we turned around, she knew we were headed back.  She decided that she wanted to trot.  I kept the lines tight, and successfully got her to walk with Rachael.  Then we tried to stop again.  Nope, not happening.  She would not stand still.  It seemed that she had 2 gears, forward and reverse.  When I said woah, reverse kicked in.  This kept me busy on my feet keeping behind the horses who were turning circles because Rosie would not stop walking backwards.  And I have to praise Rachael here for doing what I asked.  She stood her ground as best she could.

I was in a vicious cycle, because I would smack her on the butt to stop her from going backwards, and then she'd start to trot forward.  Then she'd feel the bit tighten up and I'd say woah, and she'd hit reverse again.  I finally decided I just needed to walk them back to the house.  Walk would have been what I wanted, but Rosie was too amped to get back to the house.  She was trying her best to trot.  I kept pressure on the lines, and Rachael was walking for me, but it was a struggle.  Then we turned the corner and the other horses were in sight.

At this point, Rosie started prancing and pulling for all she was worth.  I was hanging on tight and trying to get them to stop, but it was not going to happen.  Even with my heels dug in the ground and pulling back for all I was worth, she started galloping, and would not listen to any of my commands.  I could feel the lines slipping through my grip, and before I knew it, the end of the lines slipped through my gloves and they were off.  They ran in a full gallop towards the other horses with the lines dragging behind them.

I have never felt so helpless in my life.  I sat there watching and praying that they would not injure themselves.  They ran a good 1/4 mile, right up to the corner of the fence and stopped, wedged in the corner of the pasture.  Luckily they stayed right there (Thanks to Rita walking up and bumping noses with Rosie).  I got to them, and unhooked Rosie from everything.  I then led Rosie to a nearby telephone pole, and I tied her to it.  She was a sweaty mess.

Then I went back to my Rachael.  She was standing there, and didn't move a muscle.  She honestly looked a little scared, and she perked right up when I grabbed the lines and drove her back to the house.  I unhitched her and turned her back out.  Meanwhile Rosie was having a fit.  She was rearing back, and trying for all she was worth to get untied.  So ... I kept her tied.  I did walk out and take her bridle off, because I didn't want her snagging the bit and hurting herself.

At this point, I had a cold drink.  I was sweating profusely, and my skin felt a little chilly.  I recognized these as the signs that heat stroke was near.  It was only 90 degrees out.  ;)  I guess getting drug behind a horse that doesn't want to walk for 1/4 mile has a way of really taking it out of you.  I took a short break and caught my breath.

Rosie was a stressed out mess when I went back out to her.  She was dripping with sweat.  However, she wasn't fighting the lead rope anymore.  She seemed happy to see me, and walked with no problem back to be tied and unharnessed. 

So now, I'm trying to restrategize how I'm going to do this.  I'm not sure I'll have these girls ready in a month.  At this point, I'm not sure what to think.  My experience thus far has been that drafts listen well, and try their best to follow instructions (as best they understand them).  I've never had a horse flat out try and run away from me while in harness.  It's a bit alarming to me.  Now, I think if she was out away from home, she wouldn't do that due to her not knowing where home is.  However, she shouldn't be doing that anyway.  At this poing I'm feeling a little defeated.  What she needs is someone who can work her every day, and break her of her bullheadedness.  I can't put that kind of time into her.  I also can't decide if she ran back because of being barn sour, or if it was separation anxieties from being away from her sister Rita.

Anyone have any advice?  I am now reluctant to hitch her to Rachael again, because I do not want anything to happen to Rachael.  Basically, I'm looking at a horse that lunges well, and does everything I ask in ground work, but then under harness, she doesn't listen and does what she wants.  How do you handle a horse like that?  How do you break that?  Looks like I need to hit the books.  As always ... feedback is welcome and appreciated.  If you don't want to respond via the blog, feel free to email with thoughts.  I'm really scratching my head on this one.

2 comments:

  1. Well, definitely work her single until these issues are worked out. I hate to suggest it butnmaybe you need a stronger bit? If you have her head, you have her body. Next time she tries this, pull on only one rein to turn her. I'd work her in an enclosed area doing lots of starts and stops and backs. But safety first. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you have a tire pull? I thought I saw somewhere in your posts that you hitched Rachael to it and drove her around the arena alone. Maybe if she learned the commands while pulling on her own, she wouldn't be so dangerous for your horse when teamed up. I used a tire pull (much smaller tire) on a balky paint mare I was breaking. The tire filled with dirt, so it became harder for her to take off, and if she tried to back she would get a good poke in the butt. I had to stand to the side when doing the poking though--she was a kicker, too!

    ReplyDelete