Monday, January 3, 2011

Introducing Nellie


A week and a half ago, I brought home a new horse.  My family is getting concerned that I'm addicted to Belgians.  This new horse is a 9 year old Belgian mare named Nellie.  Nellie came to me from the Bev at the Double M Warhorse Ranch in Terrell, TX (www.doublemwarhorseranch.com).  So as far as I can tell, here's her story.

Nellie used to be owned by a spur maker.  The spur maker decided that he was going to make Nellie his riding horse.  He paid someone to put 60 days on her, then started riding.  Apparently on one ride, Nellie decided that she was not going to go through a gate.  You can imagine what a spur maker might have on his heels, and he made use of them on Nellie.  2 days later he woke up in the hospital.  After that, he wanted nothing to do with Nellie.  Bev at the Double M Warhorse Ranch was contacted and took the horse in. 

She's really pretty, and has some nice action in her trot.  Her papers are pretty good too.  Bev kept her for over a year as a brood mare, but right now with all the clydesdales she is bringing in, she needed the room.  And that's how she ended up with me.

She's a gorgeous horse!  I really love her.  Her hair is really thick.  She's a smaller build than my other horses, but is just as tall.  She's got a whole lot of spunk to her too.  Working with her reminds me a lot of working with Lily.  It's been kind of nice.

I just got in from our first real work session.  Ground manners and grooming were the topics.  Ground manners are something we're going to really have to work into her.  While tied, she moves around a lot and does not care if you are there or not.  Today she responded well with me just popping her in the side when she would try to move in on me.  She's really sweet, but makes you work for her love, and she's very responsive to pressure.  I had a good time working with her.

My goals with her are to get her into hitch working shape.  This would mean I could do 3 abreast for all my farm work, and I'd love to try and learn to drive a unicorn hitch with the 3 of them.  I'm really excited about the future of this horse.

Nellie has also taken the lead mare spot here.  She and Rachael can't seem to get along.  They still get in fights occasionally.  Rachael has let Nellie have the lead mare spot, but is not going along with it willingly.  Pam on the other hand, is Nellie's new best friend.  She is by her side constantly and with how submissive she is, Nellie has no problems with her.

More fun to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment